Search This Blog

Monday 7 October 2013

Light Rock Fishing in the snags..

Lately I have been steering away from the harbours for my fishing and more towards the rocky shores and breakwaters as they offer more fish without the restrictions and the usual 'hustle and bustle' of the harbour..
Of course the rocky and snag-ridden bottom claims many of my rigs and lures but one presentation/rig has shined through to be most effective. This is the Carolina rig, albeit in its micro form.. I use a single SSG shot or smaller followed by a slim offset hook (narrow gape) #8-#12 or a similar sized long shank hook . I tend to peg the sinker 15cm away from the hook
The main reason behind the narrow gaped hooks is that many species here have small mouths (although large appetites) and its difficult to hook them with wide gape hooks (even small ones). More over as i mentioned, even these small fish seem to like slim but relatively long lures. Thus I tend to thread the hook so that the point is very close to the 'tail' of the lure.

The rig.

Works well with paddletails too.
Productive but costly...

LRF heaven.
I haven't fished 'seriously' so far, as the family and friend get-togethers don't leave me much time, but I'm going to Cyprus for a fishing adventure soon and hope to get some good fish there. Moreover I intend to focus more on fishing when I return as the season is meant to be the best for lure fishing here.
I will finish with some pics from recent lrf sessions.

Beautiful painted combers.

A vegetarian salpa.. Strong fighters!

More bream (two-banded and annular) 



Baby scad

My first brown comber!



Garfish everywhere..


Damselfish. Very hard to hook!

Scorpion fish.. The main night-target.

A bogue.

Bogue on a small squid tube.

Night goby.
Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod:Major craft Solpara SPS-S792M (7'9", 0.5g-5g)
Reel: Tica Libra 2500fd
Mainline: Toray Bawo Upgrade Fluorocarbon, 3.9lbs
rigs: Carolina.
Lures: various mainly straight and paddletails.



























No comments:

Post a Comment