Search This Blog

Sunday 10 March 2013

New mainline tested...


Lately the weather has not been the best, with rain, occasional snow and even sun at times in the same day! Also considering that fish are on spawning mode, the fishing was bound to suffer with a couple blanks and a session saved by little perch. There are signs that spring is close though, as fish activity has increased and some fry has been seen in shallow areas. The perch have done a disappearing act on most spots and even pike are harder to locate/tempt.
I have decided to spool some new fluorocarbon line on my Mitchel Mag Pro 1000, after a year of using my favourite Toray Bawo Superhard Upgrade, due to the continuous cutting and tying new dropshot rigs. I think I was left with like 25m on the reel before reaching the backing! Wanting to try something new I settled for the YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon at 3lbs. Spooling was easy as the line comes in a special compartment that you can easily hold between the toes and the line spool revolves inside it. As soon as I finished getting it on the reel I noticed the expected loose coils that fluorocarbon makes as it has less memory and is so limp. I tried the line the next day and was quite impressed with its behaviour. It casts and ties well (improved clinch knot, trilene and palomar) and is typically low -stretch. One important characteristic that I haven’t seen in other fluorocarbons and surprised me, is that this line is not as sinking as the others. This can be positive or negative according to the technique and presentation, but for dropshot I would tend to class it as a negative. As when fishing I had line sitting on the surface and in tough days or long distance casts this could lead to missed bites. On that day I got two bites and landed the two fish so I'll need further sessions to form a better opinion.



I'm really looking forward to some stable weather and also to some sea fishing since I'm moving to the Channel Islands very soon.
Thanks for reading and tight lines.

Gear used:
Rod: Awa Shima Qlite spin, 1-5g, 2.40m
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Toray BAWO Superhard Upgrade Fluorocarbon, 3.9lbs
Rig: dropshot
lure: various

No comments:

Post a Comment