Search This Blog

Monday 24 June 2013

Finally some silver!

The past couple of weeks I have been playing around with different techniques and presentations in order to manage and target the main predators of the island with one gear/presentation. I ended up with using soft jerkbaits and slug-type lures on weighted offset hooks as the most effective way of doing this. It is also quite reasonable as my main target species (wrasse, bass, pollock) all prey on slim species like sandeels that have finally found their way in numbers near the coast.
 I have had very good results on wrasse with some very enjoyable sessions and even got the odd follow from bass, that convinced me that soft jerkbaits are the way to go.


I used slim softbaits from various manufacturers, but the most effective have been the: Big Bite Shaking squirrels, Hogy Sandeels, Savagear sandeel slugs, Lunker City Ribsters and Dichoso Umiushi worms. The hooks I use are weighted Camo Offset hooks, Big Bite weighted EWG hooks and AGM wide gape jigheads.
Today having the whole day to my self I visited a mark that holds big fish and can be fished throughout most states of the tide. I arrived a bit late with the tide ebbing fast but thought it worthwhile to stay on. I fished trying to cover as much area possible but had no bites for about an hour. After changing many lures, I put on a Lunker city Ribster on a 5g Camo weighted offset hook and started working a kelp-ridden area next  to a big boulder. Midway on the retrieve I felt a light tap and immediately stopped the retrieve waiting for the usual following taps as the wrasse bites the lure. Only this time there were no following taps just some gentle nips. Unable to wait any longer, I decided to set the hook and I felt some good weight on the line straight on. The fish took some line but then came close very easily something rare for wrasse as they dive and thrash all over the place... Getting it closer it became obvious that it wasn't a wrasse but instead I had a nice bass on my line! As soon as the fish saw me it started thrashing violently but I managed to get it swiftly on the rocks. My first bass on Sark was lying in front of me, a nice and healthy fish of about 3-4 lbs that went straight back after a couple of photos. After this fish I persisted with the soft slims and got a few nice wrasse. There were no small fish around surprisingly, with all the fish being of decent size. Moreover I had never before caught wrasse so close to the ebb and at such shallow water. The last fish was caught no further than 5m away from me and at about 1m depth...

 


 

I think that better results will come if I stick with this approach as it will allow me to target more efficiently and effectively the main predators here without the need for different gear and further purchases! Although simple looking and not fancy or high tech, these lures used in the right way can be extremely effective.

Tight lines and thanks for reading!


Gear used.
Rod: Major Craft KG Evolution KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Spiderwire invisibraid 0.10mm, YGK nitlon DFC fluoro leader 10lbs
Rig: weighted offset hooks and wide gape jigheads, sizes 2/0-4/0, weight 3.5-5g
Lures: 4.5" Big Bite Shaking Squirrels, 4.5" Hogy Sandeels, 10cm Savagear Sandeel slugs, 5" Dichoso Umiushi worms, 4.5" Lunker City Ribsters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment