Search This Blog

Saturday 23 November 2013

Finally some fishing!

Its been a few weeks that I have returned back to the UK now and I have been aching to go fishing, but couldn't do so as I was kept busy by other things that needed my attention.. Yesterday though, I got my rod licence in my hands and having already signed up for the Lancaster canal fishery membership, I was off back to my old jaunts.. I chose my UL dropshoting gear as I was gonna be targeting perch. The weather was fair with no wind and temperature around 6 C.
I started with a Sworming Hornet Dropshot fish head and a slim 3" soft bait and after only a couple casts I had a fish on! It was only a small jack but very welcome nonetheless..

Full of dead leaves..
The little jack
Lure mounted on dropshot fish head.

Unfortunately this was not the positive sign I thought, as after the little jack I couldn't get any more bites. I changed lure to an LFT Live baby shad and after moving along the canal, managed to get a few tentative bites which I missed as I reacted too fast. A couple casts later and I got a little perch..
This was proving a tough session with the fish being extremely finicky and scattered throughout the area I was fishing. More over I saw no signs of hunting activity or fry.
The sun was going down and after another change of lure to a Jackall super pin tail, I got a proper bite and after a short tussle I brought a better perch up.
Seems to have been on a diet..
I had to wrap the session up as I had some obligations but I didn't mind as I didn't blank and I will be coming back very soon..
I was very surprised with the lack of more and bigger fish but I think that they haven't yet settled to the 'winter mode', meaning shoaling up and frequenting only a few areas with usually deeper water.
The finicky bites may mean that I will have to experiment with other lures and presentations but that's what I love about lure fishing!

Thanks for reading and all the best for the winter season!


Gear used:
Rod: Awa Shima Qlite spin, 1-5g, 2.40m
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Toray Bottom Attacker Fluorocarbon, 3lbs
Rig: dropshot
lure: various















No comments:

Post a Comment