Search This Blog

Sunday 9 February 2014

A quick outing before the hailstorm...

The weather has been atrocious since last week and although I made a trip to the canal at the same place, I only managed one perch as the water was really high and almost muddy.
Today the rain seemed to subside and there were some sunny spells with an intense chilly wind. It wasn't exactly ideal but I was sure there would be some pike feeding.
I got the UL gear as I wouldn't mind any perch coming as well and headed down the canal.
I used my K2K wire dropshot rig and a 7.5cm Lunker City Ribster mounted on the #4 VMC Spinshot hook. I got to the large basin first and started casting. The water was very clear something I found surprising after all this rain.
There wasn't much going so I moved towards the little bridge were I usually get a jack or two.. And so it was after a couple casts I hooked the little jack and brought him up.
Usual suspect at his regular jaunt!
A swift release followed and I was back fishing. There was another angler across the bank and not wanting to interfere in his swim, I crossed the bridge and went to the moored boats and barges near the next bridge. I made a few casts next to the canal wall and got the first feisty little perch..
I moved further and again cast next to the wall, another little perch obliged, albeit more plumb this time.
Next to the wall.

The wind was getting stronger and the sun was going down, so I decided wasn't gonna be there for much longer. I got snagged though and had to change rig to one with an offset VMC Spinshot hook which I don't really like using for pike, but I stuck at it and another cast near the opposite bank got a sharp bite and after a solid strike I had serious resistance.. I made a couple more strikes just in case and after a good fight I managed to slip the net under the best fish of the day. A beautiful jack of about 6lbs.
Beautiful fish.
After releasing the fish, hail started dropping and I decided to make my way to the car. As soon as I got in the car the hail developed to a hailstorm and I was glad I called it a day when I did!
Now the fishing has been getting better and more consistent lately despite the bad weather and I am sure that now is the best time to pursue the big perch and pike in the canal.. I am not gonna be doing that though because I'm going on holidays to the Philippines tomorrow until the beginning of March and I will probably be targeting tropical species in warm seas under the sun! It will be a completely new experience for me and even though I haven't heard the best about the fishing there, I am pretty sure that LRF will open some doors...

Tight lines and hope to post some tropical fish soon!

Gear used.

Rod: Awa Shima Qlite spin, 1-5g, 2.40m
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro1000
Mainline: Sunline Siglon Fluorocarbon, 4lbs
Rig: dropshot
lure: 7.5cm Lunker City Ribster


1 comment: