Search This Blog

Friday 17 July 2015

Mackies are in!

Below some videos of my recent sessions with the most recent taking place at Loch Fyne.



I visited the loch along with my friend Scott from something-fishy-going-on blog as he wanted to catch some extra species for his species-hunt. Me instead was looking forward to encountering the first mackerel of the year that should be there by now.
We reached the loch in the morning and couldn't have asked for better weather (for once!). We picked a mark on its northern shore with a good depth and smooth though weedy bottom. Scott decided to fish inside of the bay while I headed straight for the rocks on a point nearby where I would have the best chance of success.
I fished metals in combination with tiny soft plastic teasers and the fish didn't take long to show up! In the first few casts I had a mayhem of double catches of serious 1lb+ mackerel pushing 40cms... Some escaped but I didn't care as they were giving me all the fun I wanted! After catching about 5-6 of them (in like 10 mins) I decided to head back and change rods to my lrf one (Majorcraft Crostage CRK-T782AJI) that would surely increase the fun factor exponentially. Moreover I fished a single metal and crushed the barb on the single hook as I wasn't intending on keeping more fish.
Unsurprisingly, by the time I went back to the point the fish seemed to have moved on with only a few smaller ones left behind that still went well on the Crostage! A few trout came to play along with a lonely codling and I then decided to head back to see how Scott was faring and take a brake.
 Scott was catching loads of interesting small fish with plenty of dabs, gobies and sea scorpions but not the dragonets he really wanted.. I played around with the little fish catching a launce, baby whiting and baby codling on the metal/teaser combo before giving up and laying in the grass for some rest.
I got a kip there under the sun and after waking up I re-visited the point. The water was very low now (big tides) and there were no mackerel about. Instead I targeted the trout and after a few bumps I got hit by a solid fish on a cheap Chinese metal jig! I could see it was a good trout as it was swimming fast left and right and then jumped and spat the lure! Well that's trout fishing I guess...
Sorry for the luck of pics but my phone didn't wanna play ball.
All in all a very enjoyable day and we are now planning with Scott a session in Linnhe for the chance of cuckoo wrasse and ling...

Tight lines and hope you enjoy the vids!


No comments:

Post a Comment