Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 September 2015

Isle of Skye September 2015 expedition. Day 4.

On the fourth day of the trip the winds died down and I realised that this was the opportunity I was waiting for to fish Neist Point. Thus on the morning, after treating myself to a full breakfast at the hotel I was staying, I made the drive back up to Neist point. I was relieved to see that the waves had mostly died down and also that the tide was only a small one as this has been mentioned to be a positive sign on this mark. Moreover the sun made an appearance at times making the day very pleasant for fishing.
I scrambled down the rocks on the right side of the Lighthouse and put on my last remaining Duel Salty Bait of 10g with a 4" Gulp sandeel mounted on the hook.
The mark has a good depth and more or less clear, hard bottom and the tide creates strong sideways current. I could feel my lure slowly being dragged on the bottom and for the most part I gave it only little movement letting it swing in an arc. After a few casts about, and having caught a mackerel and a coalie, I connected to a decent fish that took off like a steam train against a very tight drag. The mark's layout helped me in fighting the fish though, as I was high over the fish, and after a few less vigorous runs I managed to get a fine pollock on the rocks. This fish was followed by a few more good pollock until all went dead and it was time to move on.
Finally!

A nice one!

The inchiku/gulp kills..
I went on the other side of the lighthouse (the most visited) but although the water was looking equally fishy, I got no fish except a couple mackerel and coalies. I started walking and casting along the shore until I reached the south-facing side of the point. I got a couple decent pollock that were staging near the entrance to a large gully and then moved to the other side of the gully where it was overlooking the bay. A few more casts and I identified an area where the pollock were shoaled up. It was late afternoon by now and I suppose dinner-time for these pollock as I had a repeat performance of  the previous day... Pollock after pollock attacking my shads without mercy! The water was a little cloudy from the previous days swell and I went for bright coloured lures that seemed to do the trick. One type of shad though slightly edged it on the bites. The 3.25" AGM Paddler Grub ones in bubblegum and silver glow. they resemble the classic Ecogear grass minnow although they are 'beefier' and the tail is triangular. The tail/paddle gives them only little lift comparing to other shad tail designs and thus they can be worked faster and more linear at a certain depth.
I lost count of how many pollock I got, most of them being of a good size with a few nicer fish as well. Truly hectic action!
The action camera failed me again as it run out of battery when the frenzy begun and I even got tired of taking pics after some point. I just let myself enjoy the session knowing that it will be a long while till I encounter something similar again.
A good spot.

First of many..

Bright coloured lures were the order of the day..


Serious fighter..







Extra strong hooks...


A truly memorable day... Neist point didn't let me down! Even though it must be noted that I wasn't strictly speaking fishing on the Point..
More over the fish seemed to wise up to a certain colour after a while (a long while!) but a change in colour kept them biting.
I fished till almost dark and then made my way to the car feeling completely satisfied with my days fishing. It was hard to bear that the next day I had to leave Skye and return home.
The video of the day (although the vast majority of fish are not in).


Tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod:  MC KG Evolution KGS-902L, 2.7m, 7-23g.
Reel: Abu Garcia Soron STX 40
Mainline: Duel Hardcore X4 PE 1.5
Leader: P line Halo fluorocarbon 10lbs
Lures: 10g Duel Salty Bait/4"Gulp Sandeel, 12g cheburashka with 3" Long John and 3.25"AGM paddler Grub paddletails.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Both where KO'd for a few days...lol
      Next time ill get a gripper..

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Lovely fish, I'm getting up there at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im surprised you havent already man!
      I was overwhelmed by the quality of fishing... If you take the yak up there youll get sore arms for a week!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. You're right, should have made it up this year. As we all know, what a year for wind. That said, September has been a great, hope we get some nice October weather, could squeeze a few more sweet days out.

    ReplyDelete