Search This Blog

Tuesday 23 February 2016

Expedition Chile! Part 2.

The break offs of the first session along with the nature of the terrain and fish, making landing them a difficult task, convinced me that I needed to beef up my mainline. Thus on the morning of the second day we went to look for a tackle shop to buy some braid. Nothing difficult about that you'd think, only you'd be wrong as this is Chile and for the life of me couldn't locate a tackle shop in the whole of Puerto Montt! No tackle shop in a city next to the sea?!
After looking on the Internet I managed to locate a couple tackle shops in nearby Puerto Varas, and since it was in the list of places to visit anyway, we headed there straight away..
Puerto Varas is considered a top destination for the fly anglers that target the salmonids in and around the lake Llanquihue, and being much more touristic explains the presence of tackle shops there. As luck would have it I walked in the first tackle shop just about when the last wheel of braid was sold to another angler (!) and was directed to another shop that might stock braid. On the next shop I cant really say that I was mesmerised by the variety on offer, but I found some Sufix 832 braid, allbeit in a horrendously thick diameter (0.24mm - 17.7 kg)!! This was not gonna be Light Game anymore... lol
After having a drive down the lake and taking a swim and a siesta, we drove back towards the rocky coast, at a mark I spied on the way back from the previous day.
This was a much more easily accessible mark with a narrow path through thick vegetation and down to the rocks. It was clear that it wasn't a virgin spot although it was looking too good not to fish it. This time I carried with me my Savage gear roadrunner XLNT 7' 3-16g travel rod and with the reel spooled with the donkey-rope (!) I felt a lot more confident!
I put on a 12g metal and started yoyo jigging it on the bottom. The first strike came very quickly and a sizeable rollizo was fighting on the end of my line. Having the heavy line allowed me to enjoy the fight and after a while I got the fish on the shore.
First cast!
After releasing the fish, I made another cast and got hit yet again by a good fish. Another fight ensued and I brought the fish near the shore. As I was excited I tried to swing the fish on the rocks with the rod, as I thought the rod could take it.. Only it didn't and broke at the spigot near the tip!
I felt as if somebody had cursed me.. Having the gear that copes with the intended fish only to break it and having to fish UL again..
Rod breaker!

Anyway, I went back at the car to get my Mobile Stick and I was going to use it with the donkey-rope line thus extra care was needed... Not really balanced gear but it got the job done, and for the remainder of the session I had fish after fish on various lures and presentations. I would have liked the extra reach of the heavier lures but there were plenty of fish about and they seemed to be close in anyway.. I fished an hour after high water till almost the ebb and was surprised at the speed the water moved. Moreover the fish seemed to get even more active towards sundown with more big specimens showing then and unfortunately getting cut off from what must have been a couple very serious fish. I'm convinced that these cut offs were not always due to rock-abrasion but also the rollizo's teeth.
Metals seemed to work better with the sun higher up and texas/cheburashka rigged slim curlytail worms being the best performers. Paddletails were not far behind in effectiveness and I noticed that they were working best when retrieved very slowly with a few pauses but no sudden jerks. The fish would pounce on them as they came close in and would then bolt for the nearest cover. They would even attack on straight retrieve, well above the bottom, especially close in.
The larger fish seemed to be more territorial and loners, while at times I got the impression that this fish tends to associate in loose groups at the most favourable spots. This was due to getting repeated catches from a relatively small area.
As mentioned above long casts were not necessary, although I suppose in shallower reefy waters, the longer casts would come in handy allowing to reach more 'holes', rocks etc.
I caught a lot of rollizo that day but unbelievably, not a single other species! I speculate that when the rollizo are in numbers, they dominate the area as I tried many different lures/presentations/retrieves etc to no avail for other species. Cant complain much though as I really had a blast!
Below more pics and the video of the day.
Metals always a good solution in 'new' waters..



The mark from above..

Near the ebb.

Serious rock mark!

Possibly the biggest of the day. Kilo plus...

Japanese pose!


Unfortunately I only had one remaining day in Puerto Mont and I would have to try and get a robalo somehow..


Tight lines

Gear used.
Rod: Savage gear roadrunner XLNT 7' 3-16g and Spro Mobile Stick 80UL
Reel: Shimano Stradic 1000FC
Mainline: Sufix 832 0.24mm 17.7 kg !
leader: Pline Halo 10lbs.
lure: Various





5 comments:

  1. Interesting fish, Scott would like them. You get around! 832 is very good braid BTW.I use it in 3 BS's, good blend of fishability/price/dia. Too heavy for what needed it for right enough but at least it kept you fishing mate. Unlucky with the rod, horrible when you break the weapon of choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they were!As you say it did the job.. But this taught me a lesson never to rely on local tackleshops, even on fishing destinations... The successor is already on its way..lol

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I see you just beat me to a reel on the forum, would have made a bid for that! Enjoy the new rod, we don't need much of an excuse. That's the best there is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha too slow man! True through and through.
      Looking forward to seeing your catches with the yak this season...

      Delete