Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 November 2016

A morning on Neist.

On Monday I had the morning off and thought of going fishing at Neist. I woke up at around 08:30 and drove to Neist Point for a half day session as I was meant to be back to work at 17:00. The weather was supposed to be rainy but with slight winds and no swell so I was expecting some action. There wont be too much time before the waters get cold now and I need to make every chance count...
I arrived an hour or so before the low tide mark and first set up on my spot overlooking a gully. I found the fish at distance but much higher in the water column than usual (possibly a sign of active feeding before colder weather). Started with softplastics and after the fish got tired of them I switched to metals that brought in some more quality fish. For some reason the fights weren't very energetic but dogged with the fish 'hugging' the bottom structure... As a result I lost a couple decent ones.

A quality fish caught at range...
Plenty of this stamp..

Metals rule!

Chunky...
 After the bites slowed down I moved to my second favourite spot and got straight into more fish. For some reason the fish on this spot (more exposed and rough at the time) fought much harder with the usual crash-diving runs! I was still fishing with metals but after a string of good fish, I switched to a Texas rig with a 20g tungsten bullet weight, 8mm glass bead and 1/0 wide gape offset hook. The lure of choice was a 4" Crazy Fish Active Slug. I started dragging and hoping the lure on the bottom, prospecting for something other than pollock but in the end they showed up nonetheless! I had seen reports of some codling been caught nearby and I was hoping to get one but other than some wrasse bites and a cut line (from something toothy) I didn't find any of them.
Nevertheless it was an action packed session and one I'm hoping to replicate as much as possible before the winter blues... The added bonus to the day was that for once the weatherman got it wrong and it didn't really rain that much!
The only skinny pollock in the sea!

Much better..

They love Texas rig as well...

Hoping to do some LRF in the next couple weeks as I think its about time I found out what Skye's harbours have to offer...

Tight Lines!

Gear used.
Rod: MajorCraft Solpara SPS-1002LSJ, 3.05m. max 50g
Reel: Shimano SW Biomaster 4000XG
Mainline: YGK G-Soul WX8 PE1.2
Leader: Duel Hardcore Powerleader fluorocarbon 20lbs, 25lbs.
Lures: Various

No comments:

Post a Comment