Search This Blog

Sunday 12 February 2017

Making the most of the sunshine!

This has been an action filled weekend with plenty of fish and in glorious sunshine!
On Friday I visited a mark that I though might hold some fish as it can get tiring going up and down Neist all the time! The mark is a rocky bluff with good depth, little current yet very near some fish farm cages. Its relatively easy and quick to get there yet landing fish can be a problem. Nevertheless I decided on having a go and my target for the day were coalies as I wanted some for the pan.
I had the ML/HRF setup on the day and fished a variety of softplastics and metals. Unfortunately no coalies were caught and I just couldn't avoid the pollock! All of them of a decent size (3lbs+) that made landing them extremely difficult. Moreover the mark has long chains underwater and some kelp close in that helped the fish into making landing them even more difficult!
Anyway I managed to land one fish that I kept. Cleaning it I saw it was full of milt and that seems to reinforce my thoughts that its mostly the males active now, while the larger females are either not feeding well or moved offshore. I suspect things might get quiet soon...
A tricky mark.

Male gonads full of milt...







 Definitely a long net needed for this mark... Something else Ive noticed lately and also got into a conversation with a friend, is that the drag on the stradic Ci4 seem to have become less smooth and precise... Ive had quite a few sudden line breakages and I'm not convinced its the braid to hold accountable. Will be looking into possibly upgrading the drags in both my Stradics later on and hope to see improved performance.
Yesterday and today I devoted my time on Neist Point and had some brilliant fishing. The seals pestered me a bit yesterday but today I had the whole sea to myself. Tried to get some coalies on the LRF setup, but instead caught bigger pollock that cut me off. It seems that coalies prefer larger prey at this time of year or need longer casts as I got some on the ML setup. They weren't as plentiful today though I did go at a low water period.
Moreover I fished very slow at times, practically dragging the lure (subtle lures worked best) and got into some better pollock than the past couple days.
Used 14g-16g jigheads, small metals and hair jigs (LRF), 16g Cheburashka and Carolina rig. Had some issues with some of my offset hooks as I was out of EWG's and used ones with inward looking point that cost me some fish. I changed to Sickle offsets and the losses were minimised. The fish although plentiful weren't biting as hard as in the previous months.

What a day!

On LRF instead of coalies..

On the ML setup and larger lure...

Seal business...


Hugging the bottom.

Better fish today..


Predator's eye.


Another video below.


I don't know how much longer this weather will last but Ive really made the most of it!
Looking to make some new additions to my arsenal soon...

Tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod: MajorCraft KGEvolution Basic KGS-902L.
Reel: Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500f
Mainline: Duel Hardcore x4 PE0.8
Leader: Duel Hardcore Powerleader fluorocarbon 16lbs
Lures: various subtle actioned sps (small paddle, curly tail, straight) on 15g jighead, 16g cheburashka and Carolina rig with added floater near the hook.









No comments:

Post a Comment