Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 March 2017

Surprising action for the beginning of Spring.

Had a short session the other day under a mostly blue sky and sunshine. I picked to be on the rocks around midday as we had big tides and the low tide mark was around 12ish. Thus I was thinking to emulate last session's results where most fish got caught around low tide (supposedly being put off by the strong current). This time as the swell was considerably lower, I started at a more exposed point that I know to hold good numbers of fish, though its very snaggy and losses are frequent. I was fishing the ML setup as I was thinking the fish to be sluggish due to now having the lowest water temperatures of the year (around 7.6C) and finesse should be applied.
Rigged up with a 16g cheburashka, #2/0 VMC 7316 TI 1x Strong Saltwater worm hook and a 5" B8lab Ultimate Strike Minnow in pink that I saw the other day and thought would do the trick as they're supple, slim, UV and scented.
I cast out and counted down the lure but got hit some way off the bottom OTD! After a short fight the pollock managed to unhook itself but the action didn't stop...
More fish followed and a couple managed to break me on the snags. I went through various paddletails in more natural colours as I felt they would be better under the bright sun. To be honest I don't think it made much difference and I kept getting fish while the tide turned and started coming in. The swell got stronger too and got hit by a couple stray waves but I was well prepared with my waterproofs (waterproof socks that work as well!) and kept fishing.
Seeing as the fish were aggressive, I put on a slow jig as well that got a few fish but it was clear that the sp's were more productive. Most of the fish were of a good size (3lbs+) and fighting them on the ML setup in such heavy structure isn't ideal but fun nonetheless.
As the current and swell intensified I changed to heavier cheburashka (20g) caught and subsequently lost a nice pollock while landing it, but eventually changed spot and went to my more sheltered one.
The fish kept coming there as well, and most of them seemed to be staging in a small area.
After some more fish, I put on a Hayabusa Kicktail metal and finished the session with a fat mama that made my drag sing!
Standard size..

Metals worked too..

Fat mama..

I really need to mention again how effective my new waterproof socks were... No more wet feet!

They work..

A new find..
And the videos of the day,




Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod: MajorCraft KGEvolution Basic KGS-902L.
Reel: Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500f
Mainline: Duel Hardcore x4 PE0.8
Leader: Duel Hardcore Powerleader fluorocarbon 16lbs
Lures: slim 4"-5" paddletails on 16g-20g cheburashka and 20g slow jig.





No comments:

Post a Comment