Search This Blog

Sunday 24 June 2018

Birthday morning guiding and trout fishing!

On Friday it was my birthday and I had arranged to get on a boat with my girlfriend in Loch Morar, for a bit of trout fishing/picnic. I had also had a request for a guiding session on the same day and since the lads didn't have another day for it, I decided to take them out on a very early morning session.
We set off at 5AM and reached the mark in 25mins (usually takes 40!). A quick hike down to the rocks and conditions were looking perfect... Overcast, slight chop and ebbing tide.
I set up John and Jamie with softplastics on cheburashka on my two medium setups and after a few casts, John was in! The fish fought well but soon enough a decent pollock was up on the rocks. John caught a few more fish while Jamie was getting bites but failing to connect... I had given Jamie a stiffer, less forgiving rod and the fish being fussy nibblers didn't help him to strike home... After a while, the bites slowed down and it took many lure changes to entice them again... Time was passing and I was worried that Jamie might not catch a fish! We changed a couple spots and as the tide was nearing the low mark we started getting bites again. I had set Jamie up with a soft jerkbait on a darting jighead and he soon hooked up to a good fish! A good fight and we managed to land it after dislodging it from the kelp... Jamie hooked up to another good fish soon after and another good fight ensued! I then set John up with the same presentation and he managed to get a nice coalie just before it was time to go!
  
A chunk!

Early morning face.

John with a hard fighter.

Wanted the soft jerkbait...

Took him a while but...

And another one!
I drove the lads home and then I was off to get the ferry to Mallaig and then on to Loch Morar with my girl! We had a slow start (could be better if I had brought the right lures with me!) but found some fish while slow trolling some mini spoons. Also, I had good results trying mini slow jigs for the brownies with the 7g Duo metal Tetra jig catching a fair share of the day's total... Definitely something worth experimenting more with, in those deep lochs...

Lovely Morar trout.


On the mini slow jig!


Some colour on them!

Not a bad day!
Couldn't really ask for more on my birthday and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Now I'm hoping to have my own boat next time I'm on loch Morar...

Tight lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment