Search This Blog

Saturday 2 March 2013

A nice mixed bag.

Today I just wanted perch no matter what.. ! So I visited the Galgate marina where I had nice perch previously and the place seemed just right to throw a better one as well.. Arriving around 14:00 the weather was mild and overcast, and the water stained with about a foot of visibility.
I could already see the signs of spring as there was lots of bubbles and silverfish around, and knew that predators wouldn't be far behind.. Wanting to test again if the perch would react negatively to the light Knot2Kinky dropshot rig  (they do somewhat on less turbid parts of the canal) I tied it on with an 8cm DAM Power Devil Stick and started casting near the moored barges on the other side.. I was getting some tentative bites but fish didn't follow through.. After I had covered a wide area and thinking that the presentation may be too "loud", I tried my go-to lure, a 2.25" LFT live baby shad on a conventional dropshot rig with 2 SSG shots and after a nice cast between some boats, I got a sharp tug and the line came back loose...Damn pike! Straight away I reverted to the previous rig and put on the LFT shad.. I recasted at the same spot and got hit straight away. After a spirited fight I landed a pretty jack that I believe it could be the same fish!

greedy jack!
After the jack I got no more bites and decided to move back towards my starting point in order to see if it was the presentation or just the lure that put the fish off. I casted near some piling and got some perch-like bites and after setting the hook I got my first perch of the day.. A few more followed and I even managed to catch (and miss) a couple at my feet. Which is why I always work my lures until they get out of water.




I managed to snag my last K2K rig and tied another conventional rig, again using the LFT baby shad.. It was almost sunset and a nice cast shaw the lure land just next to a barge and within a few retrieves of the handle I was onto something better that fought hard near the bottom. It was a nice plumb perch that was promptly landed and even though I had no scales, in comparison with my shoe (size10.5)! she must have been pushing 700gr.. A very nice end to my fishing session...


Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Gear used:
Rod: Awa Shima Qlite spin, 1-5g, 2.40m
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Toray BAWO Superhard Upgrade Fluorocarbon, 3.9lbs
Rig: various dropshot
Lure: 2.25" LFT Live Baby shad (pink)

No comments:

Post a Comment