Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 June 2015

Thought it was June, not November...

This week I was determined, even without a car, to get a bus and go to Etive yet again. The weather wasn't looking good but I was determined to get among the pollock that should finally be there in numbers...
Well thankfully my mate Ronnie wanted to do the same and so yesterday morning we set off.
On the way to the loch the weather was getting worse and worse. On reaching the mark we were greeted with strong winds and rain. Temperature was around 8 C!
We knew it was gonna be bad and we came prepared with waterproofs but it was even worse than the weatherman predicted! Nevertheless I started fishing blades and trying hard to control them in this wind and after a while I started catching some fish. They weren't of any great size but this raised our hopes that a larger fish would show with perseverance.. Unfortunately this didn't happen, and after a few hours we had enough so we decided to head down to our usual banker mark in loch Fyne.
The weather was a little better there and we got catching fish straight away.. What surprised me was the great depth that most fish were coming from and that some of the pollock still had worms on them. Moreover the number of pollock was relatively limited comparing to codling, that we caught quite a few of. This seems to me to be because of the bad weather that I find  affects the pollock much more than codling and coalies. In any case we caught a good number of fish with some nice codling among them and also lost a couple that got stuck on the way up.
As they say, a day fishing beats a day at home anytime!
Some pics below and a video will come soon.
The largest pollock on the blade...

Lovely looking codling...

On a softie..
Pretty coalie.

Cheburashka kills codling!

A poor cod from the deep on the slow jig..

They are leaner here comparing to the East coast ones..


Red coding are stunning..

I'm not sure I will be heading up in Etive again, unless the weather greatly improves before my holidays back home in two weeks time. I want to try loch Long soon and I'm hoping I will be able to find some productive marks there as its so much closer to Glasgow and I can reach it easily either by train or bus!

Tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod: Majorcraft Crostage CRK-T782AJI, MC KG Evolution, KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g
Reel: Shimano Stradic 1000 fc, Shimano Stradic ci4 2500f
Mainline: YGK G-soul x3 PE 0.4,  Duel Hardcore X4 PE 0.8
Leader: Sunline FC guide special fluorocarbon, 6lbs doubled up. YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon, 8lbs
Lure: ZX35, metal jigs, paddletails on cheburashka.

7 comments:

  1. We just need to persevere despite the weather, seem to spend most of our time talking about it! I’m actually boring myself looking at Windguru and tutting. Good to see you got on some fish despite this and the car trouble, you’re some man for that haha. You’ll be back in the sunshine soon when we’re still in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, no need to be going on and on about it.. Cheers man, I will sort out the car problem by next month hopefully.. I honestly cant wait for some actual summer weather. Couldnt have timed my holidays any better!
      Tight lines!

      Delete
    2. 9 weeks to Scott and I are on the Ebro. We should feel the heat then surely. Till then we just need to make the best of what comes out way weather wise. Have a good trip back home.

      Delete
  2. Well done for getting out mate. Sat in Burgas Airport at the moment. A week of sunshine almost over. I hear a few nice fish are being caught down in East Lothian including some wrasse. Catch up with you when you return from your trip home. By then the weather should have improved in Scotland hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye defo man! Had enough of this rain qnd wind... interested in hearing how it went for you there.. Talk soon

      Delete
  3. Mail me if you fancy a lift from Helensburgh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish id known that the last time i broke down around there..lol

      Delete