Search This Blog

Saturday 20 July 2024

Slow start to the Summer.

 While May was pretty good weather wise, it all turned crap as soon June arrived. Cold temperatures and strong winds meant that little fishing was had. 

I continued with my seatrout fishing and although I didn't break any records, any session where I hookup and land more than a couple of these fish is a success in my book! Something that I've come to use more in their fishing is sinking pencils especially those models that have a fast shimmying drop and an irregular wobble on the retrieve. They tend to cast great and are good for covering ground. I haven't found the fish as close to the shore as I tend to later in the season and lures like that seemed to perform better than the usual spoons. 

Not photogenic as usual...



I did a bit of guiding but I had to cancel quite a few trips due to the poor weather. Nevertheless the days I've managed to get out have been good. Pollock have been kinda slow to get back in condition but they're also into the early Summer pattern of preferring small, natural presentations. I've witnessed big shoals of good coalies smashing fry in the surface in a few occasions but even they were hard to tempt and moved very quickly. I suspect they were feeding on sandeel or small sprats.

The girls smashed it!





On my most recent guiding trip i was joined by my regular Zubair with his son and brother. It was a slow start to the evening but once the tide started running a bit more and everyone getting dialed in to what the fish wanted, they started coming in thick and fast. We also encountered a few coalfish blitzes but they only lasted a few minutes and we didn't get hit.

At some point Zubair saw a long eel-like fish follow his caught pollock up. Then about 10 minutes later he hooked up to a lovely ling that brought some variety to our session! 


Proper fishos!

Such a cool fish!










This has been it for the most part.  I've had a few ventures in freshwater (especially when weather wasn't ideal for the sea) and I have to say things seem very slow. Even in the small lochs it certainly feels like this cold and rainy summer hasn't helped at all as fish were non responsive. I do think they'll have to switch on at dome point and I hope I'll have the time to get out then! 


Tight lines 



Hj

No comments:

Post a Comment