Search This Blog

Monday 27 January 2014

Casting on the other side.

Today the weather was relatively mild and overcast with the heavy winds of late dying down, so I thought it was the perfect opportunity for some perch fishing. I have been getting sidetracked from them because of the pike and they have been difficult as well so far this season. But as I remember I had good results on them last year at about this time, thus I need to persevere!
I got my UL dropshotting gear and headed to the usual hotspots. On my arrival the water was slightly murky and at the first spot there was someone else fishing for pike with heavier gear. After waiting for a bit and while getting some nibbles on the lure, he moved on and I casted where he was fishing before. I was fishing a wire Knot2Kinnky dropshot rig with an 8cm Savagear soft 4play and it wasn't long before I got a strong bite and after a lovely fight landed the culprit. A small jack only but they really fight hard on this gear..
Scrappy jack!
Shortly after I got another good bite but the fish let go. I moved towards a bridge with lots of moored barges around it and again there were some other anglers fishing on my 'good' spots. I casted towards a boat and got some perch like bites but no hookups and knew the fish were there.
The perch on that stretch tend to hide under the barges and very close to the canal walls but the other anglers seemed to overlook these areas and were instead casting all the time on the opposite bank of the canal.. As soon as they moved further down I made a cast just under where they were before and got a solid take and fish on. It gave a good account of itself and I thought it was another jack but instead I saw a nice perch come to the surface. It was promptly netted and released.
Another cast on the next spot between two barges saw another one come out albeit smaller and roughed-up!
'Stollen' perch!

A little one.

Been in the rough areas..

By know it was getting late and I had to call it a day, but it was a very enjoyable short session and I hope that the perch get more active and numerous in the coming weeks. It was apparent that the fish wanted the slower, finesse presentation today and also the lighter gear. I was very surprised though that anglers still overlook the classic fish-holding areas on the canals and get stuck with the notion that the fish are on the other side and not under their feet!

Tight lines and fish close as well!


Gear used:
Rod: Awa Shima Qlite spin, 1-5g, 2.40m
Reel: Tica Libra 2500fd
Mainline: Toray Bottom Attacker Fluorocarbon, 3lbs
Rig: dropshot
lure:savagear soft 4play 8cm


No comments:

Post a Comment