Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 May 2014

When weather's crap.. LRF!

Well as the title says, the weather has been absolutely dreadful for the past week and it was raining for the past three days non stop! I was feeling like a bird in a cage and although I attempted a couple 'serious' sessions, I was turned back wet and without much to show for my efforts.. I was in need of a mood-fix and could think of nothing better than a couple LRF sessions mainly in Fort William car park pier, that is quickly becoming my go-to mark for the little predators.
With the rain easing up for the couple past days, though not stopping, I picked my Majorcraft Solpara LRF rod along with my newly repaired Mitchell Mag Pro and drove to my mark. The Pier is very easily accessible and a convenient spot for fishing, but the major factor is the good number of small codling and coalies that provide good, and most importantly, reliable action.
The rigs and techniques werent fancy, just 2-3g jigheads and 5g carolina rigs will cover most situations, along with some mini hardbaits for more variety.
There is usually current running up or down the pier according to the tide, and this draws fish near the corners of the pier where the water is constricted and food is funnelled through. This is particularly evident with coalfish as they will be shoaled tight around these areas and will hit everything that passes. The current pushes dead kelp, scum etc near the walls and the coalies are attracted as they find food amongst all this 'cloud' of dirt. When I could get past the coalfish and especially near the walls I got a couple of sea scorpions that really intrigue me as a species with their interesting looks.
Plenty of these...

..And these

Voracious appetites!





Prawn imitation hard lures work too..


Thank god for coalies!


Fish were shoaled tight near the corners of the pier...

...where the surface scum was collecting,





Little poor cod too.


All the codling seemed quite plumb and some had pieces of ragworms in their mouth.

Targeting the surface scum.

Night game coalie.




I have also fished the pier during nighttime as there are plenty of lights and the fish hunt very close in. All in all I had some good fun and I'm thinking of putting some more night sessions in order to target some larger codling. Thankfully the weather got nicer today and I had a better fishing day but Ill post it separately..
From a different session in Etive but still striking looks!


Thanks for reading!

Gear used.
Rod: Major Craft Solpara SPS-S792M (7'9", 0.5g-5g)
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro1000
Mainline: Sunline Siglon fluorocarbon, 3lbs
Rig:carolina, jighead
lure: slim lures, prawn imitations, glow is good as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment