Search This Blog

Tuesday 27 May 2014

New travel rod testing..

I have recently purchased a new travel rod since I'm looking to have a complete range of them in preparation for future trips. The rod is the Savage Gear Roadrunner XLNT, 7', 3-16g and as soon as it arrived I was anxious to go and try it. Yesterday I got my opportunity to try it as it was my day off.
I was going to start with the freshwater, throwing some hard baits in the shallow bays for the pike and hopefully perch, and then I would close the session at my pollock mark in Loch Etive before sundown, targeting the pollock with soft plastics.
Reaching Loch Awe and on first inspection the rod seemed nice and light to the hand, being perfectly balanced with the Mitchell Mag Pro Lite 1000, and with a fast action without being too stiff.
 I rigged  a 6cm floating Salmo Slider as the water was quite shallow and I didn't want the lure to dig in the weedy bottom. I was casting in the middle of a weedy bay and retrieving the lure with jerks and twitches on a medium-fast pace trying to work it close to some bulrush. As the lure came closer to the edge of the bulrush, I got the first violent strike and after some vicious head shakes I got my first Scottish perch!
Small but feisty!

Another cast at the same spot lead to another strike and better resistance this time but unfortunately the fish (a bigger perch) threw the hook,, I made a longer cast and after a few turns of the handle with a couple jerks I got a different hard strike and I knew I had a pike in the end of the line. I struck hard lifting the rod as high as i could and the fish was on! It made some spectacular runs and jumped clear of the water 20m away from me (I'm sure these Awe fish are on steroids!) but after a while I got the upper hand and managed to land the fish. It was measured at 74cm and on closer inspection I discovered a long trace going well into the fish's throat.. I didn't try to pull it as I didn't want to cause any additional harm to the fish and let it go. Other than that the pike seemed in good condition so I hope it will be fine..
Bulrush covered bays always hold some fish..

Plenty of these fish around the 75cm mark.

I continued casting and walking towards another bay and then I saw another pike similar to the one I caught but unfortunately this fish was dead.. It had a small hook under its jaw and I'm not sure what happened there.. Possibly bad reviving effort? Anyway after seeing that fish I decided to leave the pike alone and go for the pollock instead.
Such a pity..

Culprit?

I drove to my mark and the sun was going down, the tide was also receding so it was perfect conditions for pollock. I rigged a 3'' Daiwa D'fin shad on a 5g articulated football lead head and started fan casting. It took longer than I was expecting but on a long cast I got a bite OTD and saw the line accelerate, I struck and the fish was on. I could feel it was a decent fish but it didn't start crash diving like a pollock, It felt like it was just cruising with its flanks against me and I thought i might be on to a decent cod or something.. As the fish came closer though, it woke up and made a proper crash dive towards the bottom.. I knew I had a pollock then and after a fantastic fight with a few more runs I managed to land him.
Took him a while to wake up..!

As usual, engulfed!
Another good size pollock and I was quite pleased for an afternoon's fishing, so much so that I decided to call it a day and head home for a beer and a good meal..
I'm quite happy with the rod as it works hard and soft plastics adequately with a good sensitivity on the tip. It also bends well on the fight despite being fast actioned.  I wish they made it a bit longer though but overall I'm very pleased that I bought it and hope it will give me many more fish from my travels to come!
Other than this session I had a previous one covering the same places with the addition of my trout mark a couple days before. I got a couple trout and one surprisingly on a metal jig (lost it on the fight) while yoyo-jigging it with the flow and I feel there's more to come by using this presentation.
They are getting more active..
I then went to the bays with the perch in mind and got my Ul dropshot gear. Instead of catching perch though, I caught a nice pike of 75cm that would not give up and let me land it! But in the end I managed to bring it on the bank. It was caught on a dropshotted Lunker city Ribster on my usual K2K dropshot rig. I am also posting the K2K knot I'm using as it really works best for me.
Sorry for the bad photo but I was using my Action camera and I'm not used to it yet!
K2K knot step 1.

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4.


I finished that session at my polllock mark as well and although I got no big fish I managed a few smaller ones and a codling on a combination of blades and  HTO metal jigs.
Pollock on a HTO metal jig.

Pretty codling on a metal jig.
We are really getting into summer mode lately, with the freshwater especially firing up and hopefully more fish will come. I'm really looking forward to some perch fishing as I really get a kick out of it! Its disheartening though to see fish dying after being mistreated and I think bait anglers especially should be more cautious as the pike can get the bait very deep.
I will probably follow the same pattern on my next days off and try and work on using metal jigs for the trout and some dropshot for perch..

Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Gear used

Rod: Savage Gear Roadrunner XLNT, 7', 3-16g
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro Lite 1000
Mainline: Fins windtamer, 10lbs
lure: various




4 comments:

  1. Another excellent session and read. Thank you for sharing. A nice way to start with a new rod.
    Incidentally the knot works well for me.

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David man! Good to know youre doing well. . More to come soon

      Delete
  2. Super reviewed, especially since it is the only review of the rod that I could find on google (One review found in my native language - Polish, but concerned about the cast 10-40 - I had it even in her hands, but it reminds me of my stiff rod for big zanders withs c.w. up to 35g, imo not sensitive enough to fill soft perch strike). Considering that from your review it's been a few good months (any issues with the rod since last review?), do you still think this rod as a good allrounder to fish perches and bycatch of zander and pike (60-70 cm)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend. To sum up the rod is still going strong and performs admirably. To be honest I fish for perch with much lighter rods ie(0.5-5g etc...) but if you want an allrounder then yes this rod will do the job! its not as sensitive at the lower casting weight ie 3gr being realistically a 5-14g rod but its sensitive enough to feel subte bites.
      Take a look at the SPRO mobile stick range as well. they are equally good rods and pack down to a tiny size..

      all the best.

      Delete