Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 June 2014

Weekend action.

The past weekend I had my two days off and I was looking forward in making the most of them trying some different presentations especially targeting perch and trout. Unfortunately the extremely beautiful and sunny weather in Saturday saw me doing a BBQ with my brother and this limited my fishing time! Nonetheless a new colleague from work wanted to go fishing and I thought it would be nice to introduce him to LRF and also possibly get him to catch a fish or two... Thus we set off for Loch Etive at my favourite mark in order to target the pollock. The water was quite low, the sun was high and there was little wind, exactly the opposite conditions for pollock fishing! But still I was positive that we would catch.
I started with a small blade but changed to a Fiiish Black Minnow 70 as I thought the reflections were a bit too much with this sun... My colleague was using a Black minnow 90. From the first casts we started getting bites OTD but the fish weren't committing hard and most of them seemed to be coming from small fish. I caught a couple small pollock, a coalie and a codling but my colleague nothing, although he missed a good fish that bit towards the end of the retrieve but he stalled on the strike and didn't hook it. I thought a move inside the basin to target the smaller fish was in order so that he would get something.. On the first cast from a rock in the new area he got hit OTD and the fish seemed good, after a while I managed to slip the net under a nice codling that had grabbed the Black Minnow while still having a large crab in its throat! My colleague was very happy with this as its the first time he caught a cod and didn't think they can be caught from the shore on lures! After this fish we both caught plenty of little codling before moving to a new area where we caught nothing. We did find some mussels though that we collected and they were excellent for dinner that night..
A couple of this size..

A nice codling on the Black minnow...

Greedy!

Plenty of these...
On Sunday I had one thing in my mind: Perch on dropshot! First though, I tried for the trout on my way to the perch mark. I wanted to target them with small pilkers and soft plastics instead of the usual spoons and spinners, but the fish weren't playing ball with only one caught after several bumps. The water had receded alot and there were loads of insects in the water that may have affected the fish's behaviour.
The only one of the day..

I then went on my perch spot and after a few casts with the Lunker city ribster on dropshot I got a typical bite and after striking, a feisty fish on the end of my line. After a short fight I landed a nice perch of about a pound and felt quite pleased at managing to get the result I wanted. I also managed to get the action on the camera.
Pretty fish..


 I persisted but no more fish came so I decided to do some run and gun down the lake in order to find some new spots. I identified some very fishy locations and I fished fast with my heavier gear and Salmo sliders as I can cover water easily and effectively.  I have great faith in this lure for both pike and perch and in the shallow bays its a killer. I managed another perch from a bay next to a point and got some hits without hook ups from some other areas that I will have to check out better soon...
Hungry!

Fishy...

It started to rain heavily at some point and after being out for most of the day, I decided to call it a day and head home to rest! I didn't get any pike but I'm sure Ill get on them again soon..

Thanks for reading!

Gear used.
Rod: Various
Reel:various
Mainline: various
Rig: dropshot, articulated jighead
lure: Fiiish Black minnow, lunker city ribster, Salmo slider


No comments:

Post a Comment