Search This Blog

Saturday 21 June 2014

Return to my roots..

As I mentioned on my previous post, I am without a car now and this has really started to get to me! Especially yesterday on my day off, I stayed at home and I was feeling like a caged bird... Today I was having none of it.. I was determined to go catch some fish no matter what..
I heard of a little burn that holds plenty of small brown trout and even the occasional salmon in season and I've been wanting to try it out for a while now, though I was getting distracted by the lochs. Today it was the day, but the only problem was the distance... The burn is approximately 2.5 hours walk (!) from my place but nevertheless I was bent on doing it..
After the long walk I finally reached the burn and it did look very fishy with lots of cover and pools. I could see some little fish moving about and I cautiously approached the bank..
My first time fishing with lures was exactly in a place like this back home, ultra light spinning for brown trout and I must admit that its been a while since I've done it... So unsurprisingly, I was a bit rusty and a few casts didn't go where they were meant to!
I soon started getting the hang of it and I was rewarded with some little trout hitting my spinner. I caught plenty and lost some as I was making my way upstream, moreover I got some salmon parr as well, which proves that the burn gets salmon indeed...
Its been a while...

A beauty!





Plenty of parr, a good sign.



Sunken tree.. typical fish magnet!





After a while I reached a nice large pool and I decided to use some soft baits as well. I rigged an orange
Ecogear grass minnow s on a 1.5g jighead and started casting under the little waterfalls. It didn't take long before I started getting bites and more little trout and parr. I got a decent trout that came off but I wasn't bothered as I was having a really good time!



The pool.


They like softies as well!







I fished for a couple hours I think and caught plenty of little fish, so considering the time it would take me to walk back home and the midges eating me alive, I decided to call it a day and return some other time.. Possibly after some good rains later in the season for that elusive salmon.. Next week I'm looking forward to visiting the isle of Islay and doing some fishing there, hope it goes well!

Thanks for reading

Gear used.
Rod: Major Craft Solpara SPS-S792M (7'9", 0.5g-5g)
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro1000
Mainline: Sunline Siglon fluorocarbon, 3lbs
Rig: spinner, jighead
lure: Ecogear grass minnow s, Lukris and Jaxon #1 spinners.

2 comments:

  1. All classic stuff. That is real fishing Dimitrios. Sorry to hear about the car but at least you are getting plenty of exercise too as well as some fishing. Looking forward to hearing about the Isle of Islay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree David... its the most hands on and among the most physical types of fishing! My legs are sore though. .! Lol

      Delete