Search This Blog

Saturday 16 August 2014

From gurnards to Salmon!

My days off have been quite productive. The weather has been really horrible with constant rain at times  but this made me think that the time for my salmon trip has come. Before that though I did a short LRF session in Etive on Wednesday and was planning to go for salmon on Thursday. I was hoping to get some more trout on the LRF as whenever I target the bottom species, I get a couple of them OTD. It was a slow session with only a few codling but I did get a few trout and also gurnards! Three in a row as there seemed to be a group of them. They were holding over soft bottom and were quite aggressive towards my 2" Berkley Gulp Fish Fry. What I noticed and have also read that before, is that the way they bite makes for missed strikes and a steady slow retrieve after the first tap usually sees them hooking themselves. I finished the session with coalies on the metal jigs fished in the current. I made a video as well..




Pretty trout..

Another trout meant to be here!

I love gurnard..



Deformed coalie..


On thursday I drove to river Orchy to try for salmon. I was hoping that the rains would have spurred even more fish up and I would stand better chance of catching one. I purchased my day permit but the news werent great. There were fish about but not biting (at least not on the fly) although somebody caught a couple on spinning the previous day. I decided to fish the same beat where that fish got caught and after driving there and having a chat with the owner I started fishing. I fished with my medium rock fishing gear and a 15g flying c type spinner. The river was looking very good with some deep pools, rapids and plenty of structure and cover. I reached an eddy  with a couple sunken trees in it and after seeing a trout follow, I persisted. I caught another trout and walking upstream I made a cast straight on the tree. After a few cranks I got a solid hit and I knew at once that I've done it! This followed..

The Orchy holds a lot of trout as well.

The king of the river!


A lovely 75cm fish and a lifelong dream come true! I thought that I would get more as I had the rest of the day fishing but alas I didn't find any more fish. I did caught plenty of trout and even a jack pike though.
I am now seriously hooked on salmon and thinking of attempting another trip before the end of the season but the cost is the only deterrent in my already limited budget!


Tight lines

Gear used.
Rod: Majorcraft Crostage CRK-T782AJI,   Majorcraft KG Evolution,KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g
Reel: Shimano Exage 1000fd ,Shimano Stradic ci4 2500f
Mainline: Spiderwire invisibraid 0.10mm, Seaguar Kanzen braid 10lbs
leader: YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon, 8lbs.
lures: Berkley Gulp Fish fry, 7g HTO shore jig, 8g Savagear lrf psycho sprat, 15g Flying c type spinner.

4 comments:

  1. Obvious delight there, superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! had to put some music on the vid as it wasnt a very macho moment lol!

      Delete
  2. Well done Dimitrios that is a nice salmon. Looks a fresh run fish too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! Im seriously hooked on them I think...

      Delete