Search This Blog

Sunday 3 August 2014

Mix n match.

My days off saw me try a few different marks that I previously noted but for various reasons had not fished there. I targeted  a natural harbour with a steep rock wall in Loch Leven that I thought could produce something. I was planning to fish with my Solpara to maximise the fun.. On my way there though, I stopped near Duror at the mark where I caught the ling before in Loch Linnhe. This place is a mystery to me as it never gives large numbers of fish but there's always a surprise coming from it. And this time was no exception with my first cuckoo wrasse getting caught first cast and only a pollock and a couple poor cod caught after that.. I wasn't complaining though and I made my way to loch Leven. The mark is a kind of tricky to approach but after a bit of scrambling I was on the rock wall. There seemed to be fry moving about and after the first casts I started getting bites and poor cod. I then caught a chunky goldsinny wrasse and a few  codling followed.
My first ever cuckoo wrasse first cast!



The Loch Leven harbour..

Chunky goldsinny..

Codling are everywhere!



I then decided to head down to Loch Etive and fish opposite the Taynuilt pier as the current is strong there and I though this would attract fish. I put on a metal jig and I could see that the tide was just coming in. A few casts around a rocky point and I was in! The coalies started hitting my jig and some of them being quite decent put up a great scrap on the Solpara! I also managed a 2lbs pollock that made things even more interesting.. I was surprised to see small coalies feeding in the surface on flies and I regretted not having a little popper to play around with them.. After the metal jig bite wavered I turned to the microjigs and Ecogear grass minnow to work the bottom. I managed a couple codling and then something better that snagged me up in the kelp.. The plant life has grown dramatically now and I lose fish more often than before, so I think I will revert to braid for my mainline. I concluded the session at my classic spot in the harbour and got another pollock on a 7g HTO shore jig.
Find the current find the coalies...

Super fun on the Solpara





I love metal jigs!

He wanted it!

On Saturday I was on my way to Loch Fyne but I stopped first at loch Awe for some dropshot targeting the perch. The water level was high and I had to wade to my armpits and fish in the bulrush to be successful, I got a couple on the Dekoj 3" swordtail that I really started to favour for the dropshot. I lost two fish in front of me that managed to pass the hook on the bulrush (how do they do that?!) and then got a decent one on the smallest Savagear soft 4play on a jighead.

A nice presentation




If only I had a belly boat!

I wanted to drive to loch Fyne after the perch session but I had an unpleasant surprise when the car broke down and I find myself yet again without a car! I hope I'll manage to get it repaired soon as I'm now starting to turn my attention towards salmon.. I really have to get one before I finish the season!

Tight lines!

Gear used
Rod: Major Craft Solpara SPS-S792M (7'9", 0.5g-5g), Awa shima qlite spin, 2.40, 1-5g
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro1000, Tica libra SA2500
Mainline: Sunline Siglon fluorocarbon, 3lbs. Sunline FC guide special fluorocarbon, 6lbs.
Rig: metal jigs, microjig, dropshot
lure: Ecogear grass minnow s, Jaxon hexan ice pilker, HTO shore jig, Dekoj swordtail, Nikko-Kasei pin worm.

2 comments:

  1. Another excellent report Dimitrios. Thanks for sharing. You are certainly getting about and enjoying plenty of variety. What size hook is that that you are using for the Dekoj 3" swordtail presentation?

    Tight lines

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David, its a 1/0 vmc wide gape spinshot. They re quite nice and supple lures although if there's pike about they'll tear them up fast...
      Cheers

      Dimitrios

      Delete