Search This Blog

Wednesday 26 November 2014

Fishing with stickbaits and senkos on the sea lochs.

Although I have now moved to Glasgow and I'm currently on my holidays. I managed to put a few sessions through before I left and I was pleased to find out that the fish were there till the end. One method/presentation, that although I used quite late in the season, provided me with some good fish was finesse fishing with soft plastic stickbaits/senkos. Therefore below I give a few points on the way that I've used them for my fishing here.

  • Better used at areas that slope fast in good depth with plenty of rocks and kelp. Steep (bluff) rock walls, points and bays are all good locations
  • Presence of current is advantageous. 
  • Size 4"- 4.8" best for the fish I encounter most often in my marks. Big enough to attract the larger fish but also small enough to offer good hook ups with smaller fish.
  • Size 2/0-3/0, 2-4g weighted wide gape offset hooks  most suitable for the best presentation in the deeper water. 
  • For my slightly shallower marks (still deep by normal standards!) tungsten insert nail weights added near the lure's centre, may be a better choice than weighted hooks as they retain more of the lure's weightless action.
  • Heavier lure models are easier to fish in these depths.
  • Horizontal fall is paramount. Many bites OTD. 
  • Slow retrieve not always the most effective. Mix and match will show how the fish want it.
  • Colour not so important although the addition of sparkle/glitter seems beneficial.
  • Heavily salted/scented and with added pork fat etc can give better results in tough days.
  • Better to tie the knot straight to the hook for added sensitivity.
  • Solid tipped rods have worked best for me.
  • Added spinner blades (blink) can 'wake' fish up.
Some ways I rig them:
With added blink...

..It does work.



On weighted offset hooks, best for deep waters.

On standard offset or twistlock hooks with insert weights,
for the slightly shallower marks.

Work well as trailers on madais...

...And jigs.



And a couple videos of fish caught with them!


Overall these lures have consistently sorted the better fish for me and I have now added another card up my sleeve.  As I've mentioned before, they are not a method for every day or every mark, but in the right place they can regularly catch you the best fish.
The weather got noticeably colder the past few days and I don't know how this will have affected the fish up on the lochs. I'm planning a short visit though so I will soon find out..!

Gear used.
Rod:  MC KG Evolution,KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g.
Reel: Shimano Stradic ci4 2500f
Mainline: Duel Hardcore 4x4 PE 0.6
leader: YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon, 8lbs or P-line Halo fluorocarbon, 10lbs,
lures:4"-4.8" stickbaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment