Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 November 2014

From nano to mega..

I have been unable to do much fishing lately as I have been very busy preparing to move to another place, job etc. I was gagging for some fishing though and since the weather has been ok, I found a couple hours on my break to do something that I don't do very often. This is to target the micro species with tiny hooks and lures. Its not that I don't enjoy this kind of fishing but being in a fishing paradise that is the west coast of Scotland, I tend to overlook the micro-predators.. Moreover I don't know areas with many rockpools etc around here so I just went down the Port Appin pier to see what could be had.. I was gonna be using a 2g cheburashka and a #18 long shank hook with another #20 hook tied above in a double dropshot fashion. I threaded some Isome on the bottom hook while the top one was baited with Gulp just to see if there was any difference in bites.
I had seen small corkwing wrasse, butterfish, gobies, blennies and of course the various gadoids but I was less interested in the latter as I catch them all the time!
Thus I started dropping the rig down the pier walls and the bites didn't take long to arrive...
The rig.

How cool is this little scorpion?!

Hordes of baby pollock...

An unexpected pouting.

My first Scottish blenny...

My first Scottish goby...
The hardest part was trying to avoid the ravenous baby pollock and coalies but in the end I managed a couple of my targets.. Moreover I didn't notice any preference to one or the other brand, both caught fish...
Today I got laid off early and decided to head up to Loch Etive since I haven't fished there for a while and I was keen to try for pollock and possibly some trout.
I started fishing at my favourite pollock mark and used 4" stickbaits on 3.5g, 3/0 weighted offset hooks. After many casts and while working the lure deep down with steady retrieve and pauses, I got a gentle take and I struck into something good. It made a screeching first run  and a few  less powerful ones while I was bringing it up, but in the end I managed to land a very good pollock of 66-67cm.
A last trophy possibly? After releasing the fish  I got another much smaller one before I decided to move and change gear and tactics in order to target the trout. I used the Majorcraft Crostage/Shimano stradic 1000fc for them with a 7g hexagonal ice spoon/pilker and after casting about in a weedy shallow bay I got a couple before calling it a day.
A good pollock.

Secure hook set.

They love stickbaits.. (among many other lures of course!)

A lovely Etive trout..

A few more fish from a couple quick sessions here and there. The mild weather seems to have stimulated the fish and they have been very obliging.. Pity I don't have more time here!
I was very impressed in one of these sessions where I witnessed some nice codling attack my lures almost at my feet, while hiding amongst the kelp in shallow water! More over I have been playing around with floating soft plastics on carolina rig in preparation for my winter canal fishing...






Nice codling hit at my feet...

...on a swimming-jig with a 3"senko..

Carolina with floating softbaits..

...a promising presentation.

I'm looking to have a few more sessions this week as it might be my last one up here and I'm also looking to write a post regarding my stickbait/senko fishing along with some videos..

Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod: MC Solpara for nanojig, MC KG Light for stickbaits, MC Crostage for trout.
Reel: Shimano Stradic 1000 fc, Shimano Stradic ci4 2500f
Mainline: Yamatoyo SW super Light Game PE 0.4, Duel Hardcore 4x4 PE 0.6
leader: YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon, 8lbs.P-line Halo fluorocarbon, 10lbs,
lures: cheburashka, metal jigs and 4"stickbaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment