Search This Blog

Friday 31 October 2014

At last the rain stopped...

For the last few weeks the weather has been horrendous, heavy storms, rain and wind had wiped out any thought of fishing let alone a proper session! This week though saw a marked improvement and the sun managed to shine through after weeks of cloudy skies! Unfortunately I have been busy travelling for job purposes and didn't get the chance to visit some of my more distant marks. I did fish in Loch Linnhe a lot and the fish seem to be hard on the feed again!
I decided to use three different presentations just to experiment and maximise my results, as I have been targeting one mark and the fish wise-up seeing the same lure/presentation been thrown at them all the time. Thus I would start with fishing 4"stickbaits weighted with insert nail weights trying to get those fish (pollock and coalies) that hang close to the shore first. Then when the bites slowed down, I would switch to cheburashka/jigheads with slim paddletails and rippletail worms working the bottom more extensively and targeting the codling more efficiently. In the end I would use metal jigs for fishing at distance and thus thoroughly covering the area.
I had plenty of fish although I lost a couple better ones that snagged me up when fishing with the lrf gear.
The fish definitely switched on after the storms and pollock feed and fight even harder now! I also encountered decent coalies where I hadn't before and even a nice wrasse today. In all I think this situation will last as long as the weather don't get bad again and hopefully Ill get the chance to visit Loch Fyne as well before I move..

Thought all of them gone!
Decent codling are good fun!




Of course the madai jigs always give fish!

Coalies ruined my stickbaits!



Nice pollock on the stickbait.

Even little ones like them!


Small  metal jigs near the bottom = codling.



Engulfed!



They make an appearance more often now..



Chunky codling..
Its a shame I haven't managed a session on my more distant marks as I'm sure the fish would be active there as well and the chance of  better fish would be greater. I think its good to give the local marks a rest after fishing them day in day out.. So hopefully the weather will stay ok (don't need great just ok!) for the following week  and I'll be able to do a distant session.

Tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod:  mostly Majorcraft KG Evolution,KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g
Reel: Shimano Stradic ci4 2500f
Mainline: Duel Hardcore 4x4 PE 0.6
leader: P-line Halo fluorocarbon, 10lbs, YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon, 8lbs.
lures: cheburashka, metal jigs and 4"stickbaits.

2 comments:

  1. Another excellent report there Dimitrios. Thank you for posting. You certainly have a good variety of species to go at. Hope the weather calms a bit and gives you chance to catch a few more.
    Tightlines & Regards
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, this variety made 'forget' my freshwater fishing...
      Lets hope for better weather but honestly im not holding my breath!
      Tight lines!
      Dimitrios

      Delete