Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 October 2014

Days off recap.

For my days off this week, I was hoping that the weather would behave so that I could visit Lochaline and the Ardnamurchan peninsula, but this wasn't to be as the forecast was gale-force winds and  rain for the most part. Instead on Monday, when the weather was at its worst, I went to my local mark in loch Linnhe with my heavier gear. I knew the fish would be feeding down deep and wouldn't be affected by the storm that had pretty much passed by then. I used heavier (20g-30g) Salty baits and had good results with nice codling and pollock along with another ling. The heavier rod now feels so unnatural to my hands and mind you this was my 'light' gear many years ago. This rod is a Tica Seha graphite, 2.70m 1/4-1/2oz so not really that heavy, but because of its very fast blank it feels much stronger and in truth it can even cast 30g metal jigs with ease. I want to try using the heavier jigs on this rod and see if I get the results I want (mainly in the colder months for cod etc) before spending money for a proper shore jigging rod. I do believe that this technique should get more coverage here in the UK and especially the 'slow jigging' variant, as so far its been very productive on the light scale. I wouldn't go all out on the heavy rods rated up to 140g but the light-moderate ones seem to be perfect for here.
Added a hook in the tail for finicky bites.
The loose line doesn't affect the movement.

Nice codling

No need for trailer hooks when they're hungry. They aim for the head!

That's why I add the trailer hook...


Pollock as well..

And Ling!

After the storm..

Yesterday the weather was much better so I decided to visit Loch Etive in the deep basin there, that I haven't fished for some time. This mark has always given me surprises and this time was no exception. I was fishing with cheburashka and grass minnows along the rocks and I got my first pouting after a few casts! Yet another new species from here.. Its a pretty fish and gave a decent little scrap, so I dont get the negative image it has with bait anglers...
I then proceeded in catching a gurnard, a pollock, a codling and a couple poor cod before getting back in the car to drive down to loch Fyne.  There, I used heavy cheburashkas (8-12g) and a variety of paddletails and ripple/curly tail worms around 3" to good effect on the codling and pollock. I caught no monsters but made a nice little video.
My first pouting!

Cool fish..

Gurnard..





I will soon write a post regarding my Madai/slow jigs fishing but I need to make a few more outings before. Hopefully the weather will behave...

Thanks for reading!

Gear used.
Rod: Tica Seha graphite, 2.70m, 1/4-1/2oz for the Light shore jigging, Various
Reel: Abu Garcia Soron stx 40. Various
Mainline: Fins windtamer 10lbs, Various
Rig/lure: Salty baits 20-30g tipped with gulp, cheburashka.



No comments:

Post a Comment