Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Its just silly fishing now!

Well the title says it all really.. The fishing has really picked up now and there is no need to venture further than my local marks. With the one in Loch Linnhe in particular, providing some fast and furious action. I fished this mark for three consecutive days (at different spots) and the amount and variety of fish has been staggering.
On the first day I focused on fishing with heavy cheburashka (12g) and medium paddletails (grass minnow M, 2.75"Swimfish) on the medium rock fishing gear. I caught plenty of plumb codling around 35cm, a ballan wrasse, a couple cuckoo wrasse (didn't take a pic of the male coz I thought the camera was on!) and some pollock. Most fish came from distance and it was the first time I caught a male cuckoo at this mark, I think there might be something with this as I encountered it in the North East as well, where the males staged further away (deeper)  than females...
Decent codling.
Wrasse become bolder as well.



On the next day the weather was nice and sunny and I decided to get the Solpara and target codling and wrasse on the lrf softies. I caught a wrasse first cast but I was then getting takes OTD from active fish that made me change lure to metals. I then proceeded in catching fish after fish continuously and cursing for leaving the camera in the car! They were really in suicidal mode and I must have caught over 20 fish in less than an hour! I finished the session after foolishly loosing a much better fish by being hasty and not giving it more line. It grazed the line on some rocks...
I 've noticed that whenever I'm having a hectic session with fish a plenty, I become a bit careless and less cautious fighting the fish and this has cost me sometimes...


They love metals..











It was a mental metal session!
Today I went again for some metal action with the rod better suited to the task (Crostage) but typically the fish shied away from the metal jigs... I caught a few and even some tiny gurnards, but they were definitely in a more subdued mood. I knew they were there though and decided to fish slim softies on 8g cheburashka and a #4 offset hook. This was much more productive and I managed some more pollock and codling. The wind was getting very strong now and I switched spot so that I would have the wind on my back. I changed lure again to something that I thought would be even more enticing. A 4" Lunker City hydrotail worm that has been very effective for me in the past for finicky fish. From the first cast the water turned alive again and I started getting bites. Curlytails/twisters can be worked extremely slowly and still provide the fish with plenty of action (tail) to home in on. I was working the lure slowly, almost dragging bottom and sometimes hopping it and in quick succession from a relatively small area managed to catch a couple codling, a ballan wrasse, a female cuckoo wrasse and even lost another ballan close in!

Even these little buggers like them..


I love pollock..



Codling seem to like blades even more than pollock!

Beautiful ballan wrasse.

Cuckoo..

I also went to Loch Awe for a couple hours targeting the pike, but other then a tiny jack I got nothing. I decided not to persevere as the sea is so much more productive at the minute and I'm having a blast! There have been significant changes though as the bulk of the mackerel are gone now but the summer species are feeding hard.
Next week I'm expecting some madai jigs to arrive along with more Gulp softies and if they arrive before my days off and weather allowing, I will try and make a last fishing trip for this season.. I want to target the area starting from the Morvern coast, then Loch Aline and finish in the Ardnamurchan peninsula! Sounds like a lot and probably is, but even if I don't fish everywhere I'm sure I'll find some good fish...
Here's a little vid as well!


Tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod: Various
Reel: Various
Mainline: Siderwire invisibraid 0.10mm, Duel Hardcore x4 0.6 PE
Rig: cheburashka, metals


lure: Grass minnows, Lunker city Swimfish, Lunker City Hydrotail worms, various metals 5g-7g.

No comments:

Post a Comment