Search This Blog

Saturday 18 October 2014

Its not winter yet!

Lately the weather has got really irregular, with the easterlies coming and a lot of rain as well. This has surely affected the fish as it was harder for me to find them and when I did they were in different places and still not biting hard. I tried some different methods and lures with mixed results but in the end I thought that reverting to proper LRF might be the best answer to getting fish as Ive been fishing mostly on the medium and heavy gear lately.
Well I had a couple short sessions with the solpara and I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Mind you I fished in times where the weather was ok, after or before storms. I managed to get a couple mackerel (!) ballan wrasse and of course codling and pollock with the latter pushing sandeels in the surface, something I hadn't seen them doing here. Typically, I used cheburashka and metal jigs...
They are still about!


Not the same fish as above but its sister?!


They were smashing sandeels on the surface!

Ubiquitous codling...




I thought they were all gone!

One thing than I've also tried lately is fishing with senkos/stickbaits. Although bass anglers rave about them, up until now I had never caught a fish on them! Even when I went bass fishing in Cyprus and used them there, I caught nothing on them so I didn't really rate them highly as lures. I did want to catch a fish on them as their action when weightless is so good so I bought a few packs of the 4" size that I thought would be best for my waters and got experimenting. The marks up here are really not the usual place that you would fish these lures as they re meant for shallower/weedy areas, but I thought of using them almost fished vertically on the steep rock walls of the basins I fish and at low tide in a mark where I could cast them beyond the kelp/rocks and work them near the bases of the kelp.
Well they do work in both codling and pollock and I was surprised at seeing them take the lure so naturally, sucking them in and not spitting them.. Of course I used my solid tipped KG evolution that really is best for fishing these lures so that the fish feel no resistance on the take.
A new presentation for me.


Some weight is necessary in the deep lochs..
Pollock like them..


...as do codling!



Worked vertically in depth at the base of a rock-wall.
They are fun to fish with though a very slow and meticulous presentation.. Not really ideal for most marks up here and not a method to be applied all the time, but its certainly good to have another card up my sleeve...

Tight lines

Gear used.
Rod: Major Craft Solpara SPS-S792M (7'9", 0.5g-5g), Majorcraft KG Evolution,KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g
Reel: Shimano Exage 1000fc, Shimano Stradic ci4 2500f
Mainline: Spiderwire invisibraid 6lbs, Duel Hardcore 4x4 PE 0.6
leader: Dragon fluorocarbon, 6lbs, YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon, 8lbs.
lures: cheburashka, metal jigs and 4"stickbaits.

7 comments:

  1. Weathers crap just now, looks like you had some luck before it turned. Did OK on the Wave Worm bamboo stick last year, not really used it much this year for Bass. It tends to sink nose first, changed to the 5 inch Senko and the Gamakatsu EWG 5/0 and got a really nice level presentation on the drop as you're supposed to do. Really like using them weightess around rocks and tumbling surf, as you say though, the right mark and a lot of patience needed at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cant believe how bad the weather turned since then Martin! Storms and gales for days.. I did manage a couple difficult sessions here and there and got some tiddlers on the lrf but the larger fish eluded me.. Today I went again in a lull after the rain and did find some more fish in a protected basin so hopefully ill get some more opportunities before I go...
      I was surprised by the codling really going for them! I have some 5" ones but find the 4" a compromise between casting weight and ability to be eaten more easily! Lets hope weather eases up a bit...

      Delete
  2. You're right about the size in that environment, not used a 4 inch but the 5's totally fly, handy on the open coast. I'm getting restless, two weekends no fishing. Hoping to emulate your Salmon success on Tuesday. The weathers been horrible, only the Cod anglers are fine with the winds. You off on your travels?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you man... cant stand not going fishing. ..All the best with the salmon! I thought 3"ones might be even more suitable here for the codling etc but they're too light and I prefer them without any weight, bar maybe them nail/pagoda insert weights...
    My season at work here ends next month and I will relocate hopefully somewhere with fishing potential! Lol Possibly Glasgow... Ive actually missed my canal fishing. ..
    looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We might get a session together yet then, never fished the F&C canal. I'm due a trip down to England over the next few months to fish the Grand Union for Zeds and Perch, will let you know when if you fancy a trip down and maybe make it a three man crew with Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Defo mate! Sounds awesome. . Only caught a zed once before in Cyprus. ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had some good catches on it , fished it about a month ago, blanked! Lost a few Zeds on one stretch but it was stone dead in general. Really good chance of getting a few Zeds if you visit it. Will speak to Scott as we need to have a catch up anyway.

    ReplyDelete