Search This Blog

Sunday 15 March 2015

Spring firing up!

This week, unexpectedly, I got some days off early on, so seeing the weather was superb I decided on another last minute session on the lochs. I wanted to try in Loch Etive first, to see if the pollock started showing there as they have in loch Fyne. I reached my favourite mark around 11:00 and I was gonna use the LRF gear and a carolina rig as its very effective in drawing finicky fish, especially early in the season and in this mark.
The weather on the day as mentioned was superb, with only a slight wind and glorious sunshine. Although I don't find bright sunshine particularly positive in lure fishing, I have noticed that early in the season and after all those weeks of horrible weather, fish don't usually mind it that much. On the contrary I think it 'wakes them up'... I didn't want to target tiddlers, instead focusing on finding the pollock and thus I used 3" UV and scented curly tail worms and paddletails. I started getting some bites but they were from smaller fish and only manged to hook a few. No pollock though, they were codling and a coalie. I persevered and moved to the mouth of the basin where I usually get most of the pollock. I got a solid take OTD and stiff resistance although it wasn't the usual pollock dives. The fish was thumping its head and hugging the bottom while attempting to snag me... After a short fight, a nice and healthy looking codling came to the surface.


Nice codling!


After the codling I wrapped up the session there seeing that the pollock weren't playing ball and drove to Loch Fyne. Arriving at my next mark, I switched tactics to metal jigs and cheburashka with 3"paddletails on the MRF/finesse gear. It was late afternoon now and after getting a small pollock, I thought it would be followed by more. More pollock didn't show but I hooked some nice codling at around 2lbs that more than make up for it.Was surprised to see that the largest codling spat a fair size baby codling or whiting! showing the predatory/cannibalistic nature of the species...

Spring codling are fat...

Very fat...

Greedy..

codling or whiting?

I also made a short video that day.

Yesterday I got a message from fellow Lure Forum member and avid angler and blogger Scott Hutchison. Scott was planning to fish the lochs with his mate Nick and asked if I was free to tag along. I duly did and today morning saw us driving up to loch Fyne yet again! The guys wanted to fish with bait on another mark of the loch, but on reaching there we saw other anglers already unpacking so we kept on driving to my usual mark. They were still planning to fish bait (and they did for most of the day) while me of course stuck to my 'clean' lures... Today was another sunny day but there was a brisk easterly wind that made for much more uncomfortable fishing. I was positive that it would be good fishing though and I started fishing on the left arm of the harbour. The guys went on the right to fish of the pier instead.
I began casting my metal jigs on the MRF gear and working them slowly close to the bottom. As per last time I tied the jigs with a rapala knot and moreover I tied the tail hooks to a short length of fluorocarbon line (weaker than my leader) so as not to loose too many jigs. after a couple casts and while the jig was just about to touch bottom I felt a take and struck to a good fish. From the fight I realised it was another nice codling and it put a smile to my face even though I cut my thumb on its teeth.
Sick of loosing them!

In excellent condition.
A few casts later and I had an even stronger take and resistance but the short fluorocarbon link gave way and I lost the fish. I guess we cant have it all...
I tried some soft plastics but today was a metal day! Codling, pollock and coalies attacked my jigs and I was having a good time.. After a while and when the water hit the low water mark, the fishing slowed down and I decided to move to the others and fish around the pier. They weren't having as much fun as I had with bites slow to come by. I moved to the point and the fish soon came to the feed with the water changing and the current picking up. I would cast my jigs up-current and let it sink in semi-controlled line, giving it twitches here and there (in order for the jig to flutter) but not retrieving line until the jig was past me. This worked well and soon coalies and pollock were upon it! I managed a couple better coalies along with a nice plumb pollock among the average fish..
A variety of coalies and pollock on metals..







The best coalie.

Plumb pollock

The guys joined me later and managed a couple coalies as well I think. The hot period wore off after a while and it wasn't until near sundown and after moving yet again to the left arm that I had the final few fish for the day. Feeling playful, I used some blade baits/cicadas as well , even though the location isn't really suited to fishing with them. I was getting bites but couldn't hook up well, as Ive swapped all the treble and double hooks on them with a single hook at the back. When I finally hooked up and brought a pollock up I was astonished in the way it was caught! The photo says it all really...

Who needs hooks?

After a few more fish and with the sun gone behind the mountains we decided to call it a day. For me it was a fantastic day but I don't think Scott and Nick share the exact same opinion.. The cold easterly along with few bites made for a tough day for them.. Nevertheless a day out fishing especially in the company of like minded anglers is always cool and I hope I can meet the guys again soon.

Tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod: Major Craft Solpara SPS-S792M (7'9", 0.5g-5g), MC KG Evolution, KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g.
Reel: Shimano Stradic 1000 fc, Shimano Stradic ci4 2500f
Mainline: Yamatoyo SW super Light Game PE 0.4, Duel Hardcore X4 PE 0.8
leader: Sunline FC guide special fluorocarbon, 6lbs, YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon 8lbs.
lures: 3" paddletails and curly tali worms on carolina, 3" paddletails on 10-12g cheburashka, metal jigs.


No comments:

Post a Comment