Search This Blog

Sunday 22 March 2015

Make hay while the sun shines.

Seeing that the weather was behaving itself this weekend I decided on visiting Loch Fyne two days in a row! On Saturday I went alone as I wanted to fish into the night and see if I could tempt something different or a better codling. The only thing that bothers me with night game away from well-lit areas, is that the number of bites drops dramatically and although you might get some better fish, they are usually not so much better as to justify standing out in the cold for hours on end!
Anyway, the day started typically with coalies and pollock on metals. I was fishing with the heavy gear as I'm trying a new braid and some heavier jigs, to see if I could get better results with the added distance and by using bigger lures. It didn't seem to make much of a difference on the day though and I ended up catching the usual fish. I also got some nice footage on my action cam and will be putting a video up soon... It wasn't until the later part of the day that I decided to switch things up a bit and took out the LRF gear. I wanted to try some mini hair/feather jigs with adding various trailers. Moreover these jigs are luminous and I was hoping they would get noticed  with the sunlight quickly fading..
I was working them in slow straight retrieve sometimes letting them drift with the current and also with a couple jerks here and there. Also another way I fished them was by counting them down on a free line and a few meters before touching bottom I would close the bail and let the lure fall in an arc towards me. This tactic works especially well with metal lures and bottom feeding fish, as they get plenty of time to observe the lure falling and move to intercept it. Overall despite their simplicity, these lures proved effective and quite versatile after catching some pollock, coalies, codling and in the end a big fat mama sea scorpion!
Can take a variety of trailers..

 Luminous heads very effective at night.    
The usual suspects..




Coalies like a bit of fluff!


With a slim glow trailer..


Cheburashka with glow lures works too..

A fat mama and my pb short spined sea scorpion.

Its just a mouth and fins!

Today I went back up the loch with my friend Adam as he was keen on some light game fun. I didn't take any pics though as we only caught coalies and a few pollock but I got some footage with the action camera.
Overall the fishing these past two days has slowed down a bit and for the first time since December I saw other anglers as well in the mark I fish. The drawback of the warmer weather!
I have also had a quick UL dropshot session in the canal and the jacks seem to have woken up as well.. I think I'll do another canal session tomorrow as I don't believe my poor car can take another long drive.
Scrappy jack!

Fun guaranteed with them about..

Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Gear used.
Various.

4 comments:

  1. Some good fishing there dimwit riots, the sea scorpion is a cracker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Col! Interesting spelling of my name though.. always thought i was of at least average intelligence and never partook in riots ..lol
      Dimitrios

      Delete
  2. Sorry about the spelling Dimitrios , spellcheck gets me in all sorts of bother. Lol

    ReplyDelete