Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 April 2015

One of 'those' days..

Well after much deliberation yesterday morning, I decided to drive up to Loch Etive in order to ascertain if the pollock have started there. The reason that made this decision difficult was once again the dreaded car problems, but in the end I just couldn't help myself having a go before my holidays on Cyprus next week.
I reached the loch by midday and the conditions seemed favourable. A brisk westerly breeze, tide going out and a bit of sunshine at times, though much colder than the weather-man predicted...
I was hoping that the pollock would be active and shoaled up and moreover I would have a repeat of the blade bait/vibration lure pattern of last year even though its still comparatively early. I didn't begin fishing blades, instead opting for carolina rig with slim paddletails in order to establish the presence of pollock and their mood. It took a while but I persisted and after more than an hour in the session I got the first pollock. It hit the carolina rig OTD and after a short fight was in my hands. I then switched to blades for a while but seeing no luck I tried a 6g cheburashka with a cheap and smelly 3" slim paddletail I bought from ebay. A few casts later and as I was reeling the lure in I got a tremendous hit and line started peeling off the spool. Alas this only lasted for a few seconds before the fish was off! On inspection it was obvious that the old leader knot that I had tied in haste in the previous session gave way... I hate repeating schoolboy errors! After the lost fish I decided to make a last late move to Loch Fyne in order to save the day. Its getting dark much later now and I would still have time to fish..
On arriving at my mark in Loch Fyne, conditions were much more favourable with less wind and much milder than Loch Etive as it often is. I quickly put on a 10g metal jig and started casting around the rocky point. The bites came quickly and the coalies soon followed.. A few casts in and I get a better fish on. Not wanting to lose this one too, I tried to get it in faster and as we say back home: ' the one who rushes, stumbles!' and the fish got me to the rocks where the tight line was cut in an instant... By now I couldn't believe how I lost the two good fish of the day by making silly mistakes but I guess these things happen to keep us on our toes!
Anyway I caught a few smaller fish afterwards but they couldn't provide much consolation so I called it a day and drove back home.. Below some pics and a little vid I put together from the lost fish... For the cheeky ones my Greek is not vulgar it just means No (οχι)!
The first pollock in Loch Etive..


At least I now know that the pollock in Etive have indeed started to get active, although it will be a couple more weeks at least for them to get to serious numbers. Just in time hopefully for my return from Cyprus!

Something else that Ive noticed the past couple months is the increasing appearance of cheburashkas and cheap scented soft plastics (usually Chinese) in the UK market. This makes me particularly happy as I can now have them in my hands much quicker and the variety is larger. The prices are very good too! I honestly believe that this tackle will help the UK LRF anglers even more and it also shows a sign of maturity by moving away from the expensive blink (a lot of JDM gear) and towards more practical solutions...
I don't know if I will have a serious session before my 'expedition' to Cyprus on Wednesday and I'm not too bothered since I'm really looking forward to my second visit to that beautiful island. This time the targets will be more varied and I will also try some saltwater fishing although again the large-mouth bass pursuit will take most of my time.

Tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod: Majorcraft Crostage CRK-T782AJI, MC KG Evolution, KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g.
Reel: Shimano Stradic 1000 fc, Shimano Stradic ci4 2500f
Mainline: YGK G-soul x3 PE 0.4, Duel Hardcore X4 PE 0.8
leader: Sunline FC guide special fluorocarbon, 6lbs, YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon 8lbs.
lures: 3" paddletails on carolina and cheburashka, metal jigs.

2 comments:

  1. I bought some chebaruska's after reading about them in your posts look forward to trying them this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye defo give them a go pal! Either with offset worm hooks or long shanked normal ones theyll do the bizz..

      Delete