Search This Blog

Sunday 3 May 2015

Blade bait pattern starts with a bang!

As I mentioned previously, I had done a session in Etive with blade baits for pollock before my Cyprus trip. The fish weren't there in numbers yet and I was hoping they would start shoaling up by the time of my return.
Thus a few days ago I decided on another trip up Loch Etive, only this time I would spend the night up there, so that I would fish the morning too. Once more though my plans went out of the window and on the way up I broke down with the car's engine seizing up and had to call my brother to pick me up from Inveraray... Undeterred (its become almost normal for me now!) I got my brother's car and headed to the loch. It was a bit late in the day now and the weather was an unreal mix of sun, clouds, showers, wind and a rainbow! I fished until dark with a variety of lures and picked a few small fish. I also had two good bites on the blades but no hook ups and I was even more determined now to fish again at first light.
Notice the recent snow on the mountains!
Thus after fishing into the night without success, I went in the car to sleep. I noticed that the weather changed considerably getting more favourable (it was more pleasant during the night than it was throughout the day) and had high hopes for the morning.
I got up in daybreak and set up on the rocks again. I clipped my trusted Ecogear zx35 blade and after only a couple casts, the following ensued...
As I mention in the video the drag setting proved critical as it was loose enough to allow the fish to take me in the snags without the line abrading too much yet tight enough to tire the fish out in a reasonable amount of time. Unfortunately I didn't stick with the original setting and lost the second fish. Fighting pollock on LRF gear is completely different to fighting them on the usual heavy spinning gear most anglers use for them. And the notion of locking down the drag proves catastrophic!
The fish was a male full of 'love juices' and hopefully the first of many to come this season. An excellent start to the pattern! Bellow some more pics of the fish and the lures I will be using for them...
Now I only need to find yet another car! lol
Cant fit him in the pic...

A superb fighter!
A variety of offerings...

Thanks for reading and Tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod: Majorcraft Crostage CRK-T782AJI
Reel: Shimano Stradic 1000 fc
Mainline: YGK G-soul x3 PE 0.4
Leader: Sunline FC guide special fluorocarbon, 6lbs
Lure: ZX35

4 comments:

  1. Nice fish for there Dimitrios, unlucky on the lost one, all been there fiddling about with drags ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin! if it aint broken dont fix it kinda thing..lol

      Delete
  2. What a smashing fish and what a fight too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Col! Get yourself up there man, its the best time for them!

      Delete