Search This Blog

Thursday 28 May 2015

Little trip to the East coast.

Having not fished last week and with no sight of a new car at least for this month, I didn't know what to do in order to get fishing... Thankfully Scott asked me if i wanted to join him and some pals for a session on the East coast. I was to take the train and they would meet me in Edinburgh before setting off. Obviously I accepted and yesterday morning took the train to Waverley with my gear. Scott and his friend Naz waited for me near the station and we set off to pick up Nick. Our destination was a rock-mark near Eyemouth.
The weather was overcast, relatively mild with westerlies that would aid our casting although we weren't sure if the fish would like it. Moreover it was meant to rain after 15:00 so we wanted to make the most of the fishing on the rocks and move to a harbour afterwards.
On arrival the mark was looking very inviting. Abrupt cliffs and reefs close in with deep water (for eastern standards) and kelp. The whole coastline seems to be like this and it reminded me of my Northeastern trip last year. I love the sealochs but the wild and rugged beauty of these cliff-marks is to be admired as well.
The tide had started to go out and we soon got perched on the rocks and started casting mainly metals in the gullies and around the reefs in front of us. I started with something different as I knew there were lots of coalies around but wanted to try for something better at first. Thus I put on my trusty salty bait inchiku jig with the 3" Gulp sandeel and started casting and letting it sink to the bottom.
I was surprised not to get any hits in the bottom (the sea lochs have spoiled me!) and in the end I got hit in mid-water by a decent coalie. I then switched to normal metal jigs that I recently changed their trebles with VMC Siwash open eye single hooks. These hooks proved very useful as you just pinch the eye closed with some pliers and you don't need to fiddle with split rings etc. Moreover they are sharp and give a good hook-hold so first impressions are good.
I covered the whole water column with my jigs but it proved to be a slow day, although I managed some nice coalies that have recently become slightly harder to find on the sea lochs. Moreover their coalies here seem much more plumb and of a good size... After a couple hours I decided to move to a more secluded area. The water was starting to gain speed now and I could see a rip forming near a little reef close by. There were also some buoys of crab/lobster pots there, something that I always find worth fishing around as they attract fish as well. I moved over and had some more coalies before connecting with something near the bottom. It was definitely a codling from the way it was fighting and typically after trying to snag me up I got it up. On the next cast near the same area I got hit again in the same fashion and another codling was on the end of my line. This one felt much heavier though and it started taking line against my relatively tight drag. Then it all went loose and I was cursing myself for not loosening the drag as I though the fish had busted me. On inspection I realised that the knot failed and in retrospect I should have used the doubled line leader as I did last time... Anyway I made a short clip of the day below..
And some pics:

Fishy rock-mark!

Very interesting rock formations..

Lovely coalie.

They got some chunky codling over there...
We were surprised by the lack of pollock and in all it felt to me that things in the East coast are a couple months behind the sea lochs, as it was back in February and March that I was catching mostly codling and coalies there. Moreover it became evident again how much more important tide and current are here as fish move around much more than in the sea lochs.
It was a very enjoyable day despite the slow fishing and after the rain started me and Naz took it easy and even got a lovely fish and chips from Eyemouth before meeting up with Scott and Nick again. We then had a go for small sea trout and salmon in the harbour and also for flatties in St Abbs harbour. The tide was all out by then though and I only managed to miss a bite from one Scott pointed out to me. He then caught one (possibly the same fish) with a variation of a double carolina rig and isome. I think a visit mainly for flatties is in order as you can even sight-fish for them when the conditions are right!
Again thanks to my fellow lrfers and Scott especially I managed to get some fishing done! Hopefully we'll do this again soon..

Tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod:  MC KG Evolution, KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g.
Reel: Shimano Stradic ci4 2500f
Mainline: Duel Hardcore X4 PE 0.8
leader: YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon, 8lbs
lures: 14g Sebile fast cast jigs, Duel Salty Bait with 3" Gulp sandeel.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to meet up with you again mate. Will give you a shout when I get back from my holiday. If you can swing a Tues and Wed off work maybe we could do an overnight jolly to Skye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man that would be awesome! Always wanted to go there...
      We ll keep in touch, enjoy your trip!

      Delete