Search This Blog

Thursday 30 June 2016

Dont forget LRF...

Yesterday the weather was fine with only a moderate SW breeze and I decided on a bit of a drive-around in order to suss out new marks. What was mostly in my mind was wrasse! I need to find a suitable mark for them as pollock all day (even big ones) can get a bit monotonous... Moreover I had heard reports of mackerel in the Southwest beaches and as I've never been there decided to give them a try.
I started off at Talisker bay and although conditions looked good (for bass maybe) there was a lot of weed close in and after getting a few baby coalies, I decided to move and drove to the rocks between Portnalong and Fiscavaig (name sounds fishy so I took it as a good sign!). The rock ledges there are quite flat and make for comfortable fishing, while the kelp is not so extensive as in the Northern marks, thus I took only the LRF gear with me.
I played around with the baby pollock on topwaters and then switched to a 3g tungsten cheburashka with a #8 hook and a 2" Gulp Fish Fry. I fished straight down the ledges and soon felt some sharp bites. I struck and soon had a small ballan wrasse come up.
There were quite a few of them and I really enjoyed catching them. Hopefully I will encounter their mothers soon...
I made a few casts further out and these resulted, well, in what else than pollock... Catching a 1lber on this gear though reminded me why you need to respect this fish!
Talisker bay.


Eyes bigger than its belly...

a beauty...




Respect to this fighter...



More of a wrassy look...

After a while the bites slowed down and I decided to move yet again. This time I drove to Glenbrittle and had a few casts on the beach there. I was hoping for some mackerel or even flatfish but after seeing some fish come clean out of the water, I put on a metal and burned it fast near the water surface. After a couple missed takes I had a fish stick and it went absolutely mental! You gotta love trout.. a quick release and got a second one soon after that didn't even make a single jump...! Mental fish indeed...
Mental trout!

not so mental...

The sun was setting by now and I called it a day. It may not have been the most productive of sessions but variety is the spice of life as they say..

Tight Lines!

Gear used.
Rod: Majorcraft Crostage CRK-T782AJI
Reel: Shimano Biomaster 1000fb
Mainline: Gosen mebarin braid 0.3PE
leader: Toray premium fluorocarbon, 6lbs.
lure: 2" berkley gulp Fish Fry on a 3g Tungsten cheburashka with #8 hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment