Search This Blog

Sunday 12 June 2016

Trying out a new rod and fishing with hardbaits for pollock.

As per the title this has been what I've mostly been up to this week. The warm weather has definitely helped and on my first session I found plenty of fish in the shallow kelpy marks. I began the day on the deeper water with the usual softplastics and metal jigs as I have a new rod  (MajorCraft Solpara SPS-1002LSJ, 3.05m. max 50g) that I wanted to try out. From the code you can understand that is a light shore jigging rod and I had been thinking for a while to purchase one... I only needed a serious justification and the Skye pollock and marks gave me just that!
On first impression the rod behaved very well and its pretty much what I thought it would be. Powerful yet not stiff, good caster and with a sensitive tip. Comparing to my other rods it has a thicker and more powerful butt yet the tip is almost as thin as my 7-23g rod.
Clearly metals are its forte but I also found it very good at working jerkbaits and even softplastics, albeit better with exposed hooks and with a jighead of over 12g weight.
I caught plenty of fish on it and fished with an almost locked drag. I had no fish lost to snags yet I was pleasantly surprised to see 2-3lbs fish putting a good bend to it! Such power in them! Yet it easily lifts fish like that on the shore.
After spending most of the morning fishing with metals and softplastics, The tide started to ebb and I could see the kelp reaching close to the surface now. I had a few fish take just above the kelp and I thought it would be a good idea to try a shallow running minnow. I put on an almost forgotten Megabass Zonk and after a couple casts and while I could clearly see the lure dancing to the jerks near the surface I got a fish shoot out from the kelp and strike it!
The strike was ferocious and the fish crash-dived straight for the kelp. I soon had the upper hand though and I was ecstatic when I landed the pollock. I proceeded in releasing the fish and kept fishing, managing some more fish on a few more lures I had with me. After a while and with the water being almost in low tide now, I made for the shallows and fished the same tactics with the hardbaits over the kelp. I got some more fish but I'm convinced that if the day was overcast I would have caught even more... As expected in the clear water and sunny conditions, natural colours were the best producers with lures that could dive that bit deeper more successful. Namely the classic Rapala X rap and a sinking Ryobi minnow. Towards the end of the session and after i had covered the area with the hardbaits, the metals winkled out a couple more fish from distance.




Zonk does the damage!


Ryobi sinking minnow.


The type of mark..

X rap...

Metals are indispensable though...

On my second day off, the weather was very different, being muggy wet and misty and staying overcast for most of the day. I consider these conditions positive for pollock and thus I decided to visit Rubha Hunish again and this time fish it more extensively.
I also had with me the finesse gear as I wanted to try slower bottom presentations in order to find if there's any wrasse about. Again I begun with softplastics but after a while and seeing that there weren't any big fish about, I put on the hardbaits and started covering water. To say I had a blast would be an understatement! I had fish even jumping out of the water and hitting the lure as I was lifting it out of the water! On one occasion, the front treble of a slim jerkbait tangled with the line and the lure was swirling on the surface. I slowed it right down and  a few meters from my feet I saw a pollock smash into it! The best part is that i caught many of the hits on my action cam and I will put the videos below. The fish were clearly much bolder with the overcast conditions and the ebbing of the tide accentuated that. Fishing in the gullies and around the points where the water was choppier saw fish hitting brighter lures while inside the bay, natural colours ruled. The retrieve was erratic with plenty of jerks and pauses and fish would usually hit the lure very close to the shore. Towards the end of the session I found a pocket of fish in a corner of the bay and the little Ryobi got four fish in equal number of casts. A very enjoyable day even without the lunkers.
As to the lighter gear and slower tactics, well I tried but couldn't avoid the pollock! At times its hard to comprehend the numbers of them here...!
Another thing I tried on the day was a plastic lip gripper (The Fish Grip) as I want to give my thumbs a rest! I have to say that it proved very useful and much more gentle to the fish comparing to the metal ones I used in the past...




Another good spot...

Some finesse...

Ima Nabarone..
Savagear prawn on dropshot, yet more pollock




The fish grip proved much gentler...

A secure hold.
And some videos!



I really enjoyed my hardbait fishing and its been a while since the last time I did this. I really see why so many lure anglers get a kick out of  this. especially when the hits are so visual, only topwater fishing can get more exciting... Next time I will be getting some topwaters with me!

Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Gear used.
Rod: MajorCraft Solpara SPS-1002LSJ, 3.05m. max 50g
Reel: Abu Garcia Soron STX40
Mainline: Duel Hardcore X4 PE 1.5
Leader: YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon 20lbs and 16lbs
Lures:Various


No comments:

Post a Comment