Search This Blog

Sunday 17 July 2016

My first boat fishing session on Skye!

Last week I had the rare opportunity to go on a boat with my mate Dylan. He had just bought a boat in Lochmaddy and was meant to get there by ferry and then return with the boat to Skye.
Without a second thought I agreed to go with him (obviously with fishing-stops included) and we were very lucky to have very good weather.
On reaching Lochmaddy (North Uist), the first thing that struck me, were the cliffs surrounding the inlet and the many rocks in the bay on the way to the harbour. I now knew where my first fish-stop would be later on...
After waiting for a while for the boat to arrive and getting it in the water, we jumped in and set off. The outboard was only a small one, and the trip across would take most of the day but we were well provisioned and enjoying the fine weather.
We had a sounder on board and it was my first time trying out such equipment. It was only a basic one but it clearly showed the depth and bottom contours and proved to be extremely useful..
We stopped on the first fishy looking rock and I told Dylan to get close enough so that I could let a few casts. I tied on a 30g Salty bait with a 4.5" Sluggo for a trailer and cast near the rock. The current was strong but the lure didn't have time to sink for more than a few seconds before it was intercepted by a fish! A short fight later and a pollock was on the deck. This fish was followed by many more in varying sizes. They were practically stacked around the rock and feeding actively. I couldn't believe how easy it was and to be honest I now realise the great benefits of having a boat... I do love my rock fishing but this was just pure fun and no effort!
One of many from the rocks at Lochmaddy.



Salty bait and Sluggo. lethal combination.



So much fun!


Decent scrapper!

Fish on!



Go back!
 After spending about 20mins on the rock, we decided to move as there were too many areas on the way that I wanted to cast a line at!
It took us a few hours to make the crossing and we then hit Waternish Point. This is an area Ive yet to fish, but with clear potential (as so many other similar areas on Skye!) that I just haven't gotten around it yet. We noticed large shoals of sandeels in the sonar and I started picking up some fish. The usual pollock but also s few mackerel and coalies that were trailing the sandeel shoals.
Waternish Point..

A very welcome mackerel..

..and a nice coalie!

Again we didn't spend too much time there as it was getting late by now. We headed towards Uig and after passing next to the cliffs, I identified a hump in about 30m depth and thought to make a couple casts. I had a 30g Hayabusa Kicktail on and casted out over the hump with the intention to bounce it on the bottom back towards me and over the hump. Soon after touchdown though I felt weight and habitually struck. The rod tip stayed down and after briefly thinking I was stuck, I felt the 'snag' move and heard the drag letting of line at a slow, constant pace. This was very similar to the 'thing' that took much of my line a few months ago but I thought now I had a good chance of seeing what it was..
I fought the fish for well over an hour and chased it with the boat a few times. I managed to get it off the bottom twice and on the second time I brought it to a depth of about 12m and we could clearly see it on the sonar. Moreover it seemed to have company as another shape followed it up!  The fish refused to come up though and made another near unstoppable and determined run, although it felt slower this time and seemed to spend more time in a single place on the bottom. Unfortunately we were loosing light and the wind was picking up. Unprepared for navigating at night (no lights) I tried to hurry the fish and tightened the drag more. This lead to the leader breaking at the knot and my second chance of landing the 'Skye monster' was lost...
After that I lost all appetite for fishing and we went straight to the harbour.
I'm now 99% sure it was a common Skate and I'm surprised it took the inchiku lure (there was no fish caught on this time). They are clearly more predatory than I thought. Alas it was the same setup I had as last time and its just not enough for fish of this size...
Below a little vid I took on my mobile as I'm experiencing problems with my action cam (one day I needed it!)

Regardless of the lost monster it was a great day afloat and it certainly opened up my eyes on the potential of boat fishing here on Skye. We are planning to make these outings more regular now as I'm now hooked!
Just when I though I had most of my gear sorted for my fishing here, I now realise I need more!

Tight Lines and more to come...

Rod:  MC KG Evolution KGS-902L, 2.7m, 7-23g.
Reel: Daiwa Freams 2500
Mainline: Duel Hardcore X4 PE 1.0
Leader: Duel Hardcore Powerleader fluorocarbon 20lbs
Lures: Various (mostly inchiku type metals)


6 comments:

  1. Yeah, kind of looks slow like a Skate, was thinking maybe Tope when I was reading your post but the rod might be kicking a little more, prob faster as well. Hard luck, it's the not knowing eh?

    I hooked a Southern Stingray on a Wave Crab lure and jig head in Aruba, broke me off, so rays can certainly be predatory. Third time lucky maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the second opinion pal! It really is killing me not managing to see this fish. If I was on my own Id probably be still there fighting it without food or water!
      I hope so.. Im sure Ill be able to get one out with the light shore jigging rod.

      Delete
  2. Hope you're lucky enough to get hooked up with the heavy gear, get the boots on it! A big Spur would take a lure, with that gear you would have landed it in a hour so other than Tope or Skate I'm not sure what else it might be. A seal and it would have been over fairly quickly. It happened to me while fishing for Bass on the Solway, when I look at the video I still get annoyed. It's under the header "owned" in my video section if you want a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so man... I have the impression that I've encountered spurs before in loch etive but they always bit me off... I've also had a seal and as you say things were over pretty quickly... Lol I think I've seen that video before.. it shows that you really know how to make a lure come alive..lol
      My mate is sorting out his bigger boat at the moment and it won't be long till we're afloat again!
      Tight lines.

      Delete
  3. Have you shore fished on the uists?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not my friend... it's obvious that the potential for great sport is there... hopefully I'll visit the outer Hebrides and manage that sometime...

      Delete