Search This Blog

Thursday 28 July 2016

The cuckoos are out!

My days off didn't start in the best way this week. Issues with my car kept me home for most of the morning (turns out I had left a light on and drained the battery...) but as soon as I sorted it out, I was out fishing! This time I took my usual light shore jigging setup but also the finesse one as I wanted to 'scratch' around the bottom for extra species.I was fishing at one of my favourite deep water rock-marks and started with a 14g cheburashka and a 3" Ecogear paramax on the #2 offset hook. It took a long time to hit the bottom but I felt sharp bites as soon as it did... I struck and at once I knew I had something other than pollock on! I took my time reeling the fish in and soon enough had a chunky female cuckoo wrasse on the rocks.. I love catching these fish and persevered looking for the male to bite my lure.. Alas as is usually the case up here, the pollock had different ideas and didn't let anything else get a taste of my offerings. I got a 4-5 pounder that gave a very good fight and thought it was time to change to the heavier gear...
This saw me catch yet more pollock but towards the end I got a lovely male cuckoo wrasse!
Less colourful but still feisty!

Can never get tired of catching these...

And the videos of the session.


As I was making my way back (getting dark by now) I passed the shallow bays and the water just looked perfect for some topwater action. It was almost past the high tide mark by now and as I approached the waters edge I saw fish splashing close in.. Pollock hunting...
Straight away I put on the only surface lure I had with me (Tacklehouse Vulture) and casted towards the splashes.. The rest on the video below...


Almost night-time...

On the next day I visited Rubha Hunish as I hadn't been there in a while.
The session didn't start with a bang and things were pretty slow but after moving around a bit I decided to fish the rocks facing the wind and covered water quickly with hardbaits. This saw me get some good fish and the lures that shined were the Ima Hound 125 Sonic and the ever-productive Megabass Zonk Gataride. As I was walking and casting along the rocks (tide turned and was on the ebb by now) I identified a gully emptying out and it was there that I had non stop action for about 20mins! In retrospect I shoud've used hardbaits and even topwaters but the classic 6.5" Sluggo on a darting jighead did the damage..
Ima hound...

A very dark fish...

Megabass Zonk Gataride..

And the video.

A very productive couple of days and I couldn't ask for more!
I'm really hoping the weather improves a bit though as I want to make the hike (and fish!) to Idrigill Point and Rubh na Dunain. Two hard to get to marks that I'm sure are well worth the effort. Plus I need a bit of exercise!

Tight Lines!

Gear used:
Rod: MajorCraft Solpara SPS-1002LSJ, 3.05m. max 50g
Reel: Shimano SW Biomaster 4000XG
Mainline: YGK G-Soul X3 PE1.5
Leader: Duel Hardcore Powerleader fluorocarbon 20lbs.
Lures: Various

No comments:

Post a Comment