Search This Blog

Sunday 7 August 2016

More seatrout than mackerel...!

The past week saw me trying a few marks and carrying the light gear as well, in search of mackerel among other fish. The weather made fishing the good marks difficult and thus I had to try a couple new areas out with mixed results (as is often the case when trying out new areas). The mackerel have been in numbers in some marks but completely absent in others so far...
The first session was in the South part of the island where I tend to get them regularly but on the day I caught none! I switched to the heavier gear and managed a nice sea trout on a 6" Sluggo (?!) along with the most well behaved pollock ever...


The next day I hiked to a rocky mark that I thought I could access but after much trying I just couldn't get down to the rocks and gave up. On the way back I fished some rock ledges and finally found what I was looking for! Caught some mackerel and went home for a lovely meal...

 I have had a few other quick sessions but they didn't set the world alight... The pollock fishing is a bit slow at the moment although the surface action cant be beaten when the time and conditions are right. I will be posting a few videos soon...
What has been bugging me lately is the relative absence of wrasse. The marks I fish do hold them as Ive had them last year but they don't seem to be there now... Moreover in areas that I catch  little ones the slightly larger fish didn't show. I think that the creels may have something to do with it as they're everywhere now and I believe wrasse are prone to get caught in them.. Hopefully I'll manage to locate some soon.

Tight lines!

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree about the creels Dimitrios. Fished Skye last month and lost more jigs caught up in ropes than in the kelp.
    Can anyone just stick these anywhere or are they licenced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anyone can have up to 5 creels and for more you need a licence. But it must have some effect to the wrasse at least.. Can't think of another explanation. Moreover the fish farms pay around 9pounds per wrasse so I'm sure some fishermen target them specifically. ..
      And true they're such a pain when they're arrayed in front of your fishing spot...

      Delete