Search This Blog

Friday 19 August 2016

A quick and eventful LRF session.

The other day I was lucky to get some spectacular weather coinciding with my day off and I decided to visit a well known nearby mark to catch a few mackerel for the barbie. Admittedly I haven't done as much LRF as I would like but the weather hasn't helped at all and besides I'll be going home for holidays soon and LRF is all I'll be doing!
This mark is very close to Portree and quite pressured (especially from mackerel-feathering anglers) but on the day I was the only one there. This probably meant that the mackerel haven't shown there yet and indeed after some casts around I didn't encounter a single one...
I did find healthy numbers of small pollock though and proceeded to enjoy the action from them.
I was fishing a 2" Magbite Samba soft plastic on a #8 long shank hook and a 3g tungsten cheburashka. The pollock seemed to love it and  were all over it as soon as it hit the deck.
I caught a few fish and made my way towards the tip of the point where the kelp was thicker and the depth greater. It was there that I got a solid take and got busted on a powerful run... I tied a new leader (6lbs) and slcakened the drag... Recasted and the same thing happened again! I quickly got my heavier setup out and fished at the spot but got no takes... I resumed the LRF and changed lure to a 2" Jackall Peke Peke. Also I tied on a 8lbs leader.
After catching a few more small pollock, I got another serious take and this time fought the fish for longer but in the end It made a strong run and the braid parted!
Afterwards I realised that the braid had weakened from use... It goes to show the powerful attraction of LRF gear on fish of every size...
In any case it was a very enjoyable session that got even better when I managed a feisty little wrasse soon after!
Nothing wrong with sausages on the bbq that day.. lol
Below some pics and the video of the session.


Pure fun on light tackle!


Full of character!



Thanks for reading and more to come!

Gear used.
Rod: Majorcraft Crostage CRK-T782AJI
Reel: Shimano Stradic 1000fc
Mainline: Ygk G-Soul x3 0.3PE
leader: Toray premium fluorocarbon, 6lbs, YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon 8lbs.
lure: 2" Magbite Samba and Jackall Peke Peke on a 3g Tungsten cheburashka with #8 hook.






No comments:

Post a Comment