Search This Blog

Thursday 8 June 2017

A wee LRF flounder session.

Yesterday I had the afternoon off and I had a double plan in my mind... I was gonna hit some harbours and jetties with the LRF to see if the mini-species started to show and later on would target Neist with the new rod to give it a workout and see how it behaves.
Thus I drove down to an often overlooked little harbour that is en route to one of my pollock marks, but this time I got the Crostage out and had a few casts.
Started with a 4g cheburashka, #8 hook and a 2" Berkley Sandworm as its a very effective search-bait. It was almost high tide and there was a brisk wind to my face but not too strong so as to affect my fishing.. The bottom was mostly sand with patches of weed and the water clear although with some drifting weed. I worked the lure near the bottom mostly and got a small pollock within the first few casts.. I then started to cast around the patches of weed and work the lure to the base of the harbour-wall, got a positive take and struck. The fish was holding down but soon enough I got it up and it was a lovely little flounder! Its been a long while since I caught one as I don't really target sandy areas that much, but very welcome.
It appeared that it had some company and I kept getting more of them with the sizes getting better. All the bites were pretty hard to miss and positive, with the fish getting well hooked. Kinda reminiscent of perch.. Since there were a few about I changed lure to a Jackall Peke Ring on a 1.8g Decoy Rocket head as I wanted to see if they'd take a 'normal' sofplastic and I have to say it appeared equally effective. I got a decent one after a while that headed straight for the base of the rockwall and managed to cut me off (!) as I was standing further back... Even flounders crash-dive up here! 😲

Oh hello!

Camo...

Flounders are cool..

The lure of choice..


After spending about 30-40mins there, the bite started to slow down and I thought it best to move. I drove to a different harbour then but it seemed to be devoid of life thus I decided it was time for Neist Point and the new rod's test!
Once at Neist I hastily walked to my spot and set up. Tried a couple presentations but as the current was very strong a 25g cheburashka gave the solution, rigged with a 5" Jerkshad.
I paired the rod with the Shimano Stradic FK C3000 and it felt like a good much. Instantly I could feel more bumps and the bottom much more 'defined' than with my other rods. Despite its length it feels shorter and after a while I hooked into a nice pollock that pulled some drag and got the rod in a good shape! It subdued the fish in good time and the butt seems to hold a lot of power. In all very happy with my purchase!
Christened!

Looking forward to some guiding sessions this weekend and using the rod more. In addition Ill be trying to find more areas that might hold flounders up here and generally start using the LRF gear more as its sheer fun of course!

Tight Lines!

Gear used.

Rod: MajorCraft Crostage CRK-T782AJI, APIA Foojin'R Best Bower 96MLX
Reel: Shimano Stradic 1000Fc Shimano Stradic FK C3000
Mainline: Unitika Night Game PE 0.3, Unitika Shore Game X8 PE 1.2
Leader: Toray Excellent fluorocarbon 6.8lbs, Duel Hardcore Powerleader fluorocarbon 16lbs
Lures: Berkley 2" Sandworm, Jackall Peke Ring, Berkley Jerkshad

No comments:

Post a Comment