Search This Blog

Saturday 3 June 2017

Fish are in the shallows and new weapon added!

The past week I thought it was about time I visited some of the shallow Summer marks up here as I was sure the pollock must be on them by now. The first mark is a pinnacle overlooking a kelp filled bay and I found the fish feeding very actively as the tide ebbed. I was very surprised to see them hitting sandeels on the surface a couple times not 2m from the rock I was standing on! Made a couple close pitches and got hit but both times the fish snagged me up on the kelp at the base of the rocks.. But that's pollock fishing for you... I was fishing the ML setup and it doesn't have the power to stop these fish on such 'hairy' ground, something that I hope to soon rectify as I got a new rod and Ill talk about it further down.
Apart from the fish hunting at the surface, it was interesting to note the capture of a re-caught fish that probably managed to unhook itself earlier on in the session...!

Bruiser...

Pegging the lure on cheburashka.

Shallows.


The next session was only a short one as there was considerable wind and swell building up. I decided on starting with a good old fashioned spoon, a Solvkroken Jensen Tobis, as it offers long casts, intense flash and slow fall with minimal rising on the retrieve. The mark has clear bottom further out thus I wasn't worried of the treble snagging. And it didn't take long before a pretty pollock showed interest! Then followed by a couple coalies before another pollock that cut the line only meters away from me and took my lure with it! I managed to get another decent fish on a softbait before going home...

Good old spoons are killers for pollock!



A good couple sessions and I think Ill be taking the topwaters out soon! The new rod will hopefully help me work slightly heavier ones better and also get those 'friskier' fish landed from the snaggy marks... The rod is the APIA Foojin'R Best Bower 96 MLX and I honestly cant wait to try it out ASAP! First impressions are very good, light yet sturdy with a fine tip. This will become my main rod hopefully and on paper it has all the characteristics of a good pollock rod. Around 9 feet, soft tip but fast action and able to work a variety of hard and soft lures.
I will come back to it after spending some time fishing it...

Tight Lines!

 Gear used.
Rod: MajorCraft KGEvolution Basic KGS-902L.
Reel: Shimano Stradic FK C3000
Mainline: Unitika Shore Game X8 PE 1.2
Leader: Duel Hardcore Powerleader fluorocarbon 16lbs
Lures: various












No comments:

Post a Comment