Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 August 2017

Two new spots with decent fish.

Today I decided to go on a reconnaissance mission in places I've been postponing fishing for too long!
The weather finally settled a bit and it was a mix of showers, sunshine and SW winds... Not perfect by any means but good enough for me! Both spots are near well known marks and at this time of year I try and avoid the crowds as much as I can, hence it would be very positive if the new spots produced a couple good fish ..!
I would be fishing the ebb straight after high water as the second spot is easier to approach over low water. This meant a late start (not advisable at this time of year) but the first spot was very deep and hopefully the fish wouldn't be put off by the bright conditions.
After a short but energetic stroll through dense shrub, I was on my first spot, a sheltered, deep bluff wall. I started with a Salty bait/gulp combo and could feel that the bottom further out was fairly clean while it was getting reefyer with some weed (not kelp) at the base of the rock-wall. Most nibbles were coming close in but didn't develop. After a while, I changed to a 4" paddletail on a 22g cheburashka and finally after lots of little bites I got a positive take while the lure was curve-falling towards the base of the wall.
The fish fought hard and stayed deep, a few runs later I got it further up and saw it flash, but then it took me to a snag and managed to unhook itself soon after. I persevered around the same area and soon after I got a take and solid resistance. Another good fight but this time I managed to get the fish up and away from the snags...

A solid fish.
The bites slowed down after this fish and only managed another smaller one before deciding to move and drive to my second spot.
Now the second spot is very close to Neist Point but Ive never seen anyone fish it and after an easy hike and a less easy decent  I was standing on a ledge overlooking a kelpy bay.
I started with a 4" paddletail on a 18g cheburaska but only got a couple 'snapy' bites that didn't develop. In my experience this kind of bites indicate limited interest yet the fish usually come around with a change in presentation (most times a more natural one). Thus I switched to a 4" Ribster and the bite came bang on first cast! A weird fight ensued with the fish swimming towards me at times (!) but soon got it under control and on the rocks, another good fish for the day..

Another one...
I kept to the same presentation and had a few more fish straight after along with some missed takes. Fish can be fussy at this time of year hence all the misses. After dropping a fish close in at some point, I kept retrieving only to be hit again close in by another (or possibly the same) fish and after a spirited tussle I got it on the rocks. While I was truing to lip-grip it I noticed something in its mouth. At first I thought it was seaweed but on closer inspection it was a hook from a feathers/sabiki rig that the fish obviously managed to cut loose from!

Tenacious!
This isn't the first time I encounter this and it reinforces my opinion that pollock and most fish in general are good at overcoming hooks stuck in them (especially away from vital organs) and don't feel too worried when they manage to cut me off in the snags.. Got to admire their tenacity though!
Hopefully these winds will die down a bit next week as I need to get some fish OTT!

Tight Lines!

Gear used.
Rod: APIA Foojin'R Best Bower 96 MLX
Reel: Shimano Stradic FK C3000
Mainline: Unitika Shore Game X8 PE 1.2
Leader: Daiwa Tournament FC fluorocarbon 18lbs
Lures: Mainly paddletails and straight Sp's on 18g-22g cheburashka


No comments:

Post a Comment