Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 December 2017

Big lures for the bigger fish..

After my LRF outing the other week, I started focusing more on the larger fish... In the next sessions I brought along heavier gear including a new heavy HRF rod, the Tailwalk Saltyshape Dash Power Rock S90H. The main reasons for acquiring this rod was my need for a more powerful-tipped rod that can jerk 5"+ softplastics on 25g+ jigheads along with the heavy Texas rig and metals. Of course my Light Shore Jigging could do that just fine but its a heavier rod and besides Ive always wanted to try a purpose-built HRF rod...
On the next few sessions I used a variety of lures and presentations but the biggest fish showed a clear preferenc to the larger soft jerkbaits.. Clearly the presence of herring played a significant role in that.
Below some pics:

Megabass Giant Xlayer gets a solid one!

A beaut of a wrasse..

Another nice fish.

Xlayer does it again!





... And videos as usual. On the second video I use the new rod and its action can be seen.



I'm not gonna go in length about the Power Rock here as Ive only used it a few times but from the start it feels like a very solid and light rod for its rating. Kinda reminds me of the Gamakatsu Akilas rods and has great sensitivity. Most of the bites seemed to lead into hookups with only a couple unhookings. The one thing I'm not too keen on is the top part of the reel seat. It screws down to the reel arm but it has little EVA-Duplon there and gets slippery on wet hands. In any case it appears Ill be getting the gloves on soon as there's cold weather coming and then it shouldn't be too bad...
There are still large shoals of baitfish about but as I mentioned above the weather is turning and I'm not sure when Ill be able to get some fishing done again...

Tight Lines


Gear used.
Rod: APIA Foojin'R Best Bower 96 ML, Tailwalk Saltyshape Dash Power Rock S90H
Reel: Shimano Stradic FK C3000, Shimano SW Biomaster 4000XG
Mainline: Duel Hardcore X8 PE 1.2, Duel X wire X8 PE1.5
Leader: Daiwa Tournament FC fluorocarbon 20lbs and 25lbs
Lures: Various but 5" soft jerkbaits on 20g-28g darting jigheads most effective on the better fish.





















No comments:

Post a Comment