Search This Blog

Sunday 9 March 2014

New place new beginning.

On Friday, me and my brother set off for the long trip to the west coast of Scotland where our new job and home is going to be for the coming summer season.
We are living near Oban and naturally I had made my research for the best looking marks in freshwater and saltwater beforehand.
The area is breathtakingly beautiful but the Scottish weather... Well, its just the way it is!
So today I got the opportunity to check out some marks on two sea lochs near me.
I first visited loch Creran and fished under the bridge with heavier gear. I was mostly aiming to check the actions of lures as well as the depth and current flows and not really expecting any fish so early in the season. And not surprisingly I didn't catch anything but saw a pretty otter swimming around. . I always feel fuller when I'm fishing in areas where I get to have wildlife encounters, as they are truly wild and unaltered by human intervention.
Spring not here yet...


After an hour or so, I got in the car and drove to loch Etive.  I went to a promising looking natural harbour where I wanted to do some lrf just to see whats there.. The water was calm as there was no wind but some rain drops started falling.
I tied a #12 split shotter hook and pinched a single ssg shot 5inches from it. The lure was a small Berkley gulp earthworm. After a couple casts I got a slight rattle but reacted too fast, I recast and after waiting (substantially) for the rig to touch bottom I felt a couple bites and set the hook to a fish. I had the drag set  a little loose as I was aiming for mini species and the fish pleasantly took some line before I brought it up.  It was a small codling, my first of its species and also first fish in Scotland!
I was quite excited and kept fishing. . I got another similar take but this time the fish was larger and made a good run. Unfortunately the small hook pulled out..
I persisted and had a couple more bites but the rain got heavier and I decided to go home.

My first ever.
Not great results but I got a new species and my first fish in Scotland! I think this can only be a good sign of things to come..
More reports to come soon from freshwater as well since we are near the opening of the new season, I am really excited and looking forward to some new fishing adventures!

Thanks for reading.

Gear used.
Rod: Awa Shima Qlite spin, 1-5g, 2.40m
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro1000
Mainline: Sunline Siglon Fluorocarbon, 4lbs
Rig: mini carolina
lure: Berkley gulp worm



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for an interesting post. I look forward to reading about your future Scottish trips. You have a lot of water to go at! Tightlines.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers man! There really is a huge amount of water up here...
    Dimitrios

    ReplyDelete