Search This Blog

Saturday 13 April 2013

If only I had more time...

Well the weather has been ok for the past week, but due to work, I had only enough time for very short sessions... Apart from that though, I saw action every time and really enjoyed the fishing.
On the first day I went to a hard to reach spot that seemed 'alive ' with wrasse as I could see them moving around at low tide. The access to the water was difficult as I could barely reach with my landing net but it was worth a shot.. Although I could see plenty of wrasse, they didn't show much interest in my offerings and I had to work hard to get one to bite.. I finally got a pounder on a 4.5" Big Bite Shaking Squirel on a Jobee weedless jighead that came relatively easy.

The next day I visited my usual mark near home that never fails to give some fish and managed to get a good fish of 1.7kg. I was fishing with a mate from work who was curious about my catches and the gear used and wanted to tag along. I got the fish on a very slow retrieve, using a carolina rig with a 3" Keitech live Impact. The fish took the bait shortly after the drop and put up a very good fight, albeit after halfway in the retrieve!  My mate got one wrasse follow his Berkley Gulp Sandeel all the way to his feet! The fish bit the lure but somehow didn't get hooked... I couldn't believe my eyes both because of the wrasse's aggression and that it didn't got caught.


Today we visited a new mark on the north side of the island where my mate told me there are strong currents and a deep rocky bottom. He had got good results fishing with bait but never got a wrasse there.. We arrived at the mark and it was truly as described... A wild place, with waves and foaming water, strong winds and rocks everywhere.. I decided to use a heavier sinker on my line but stick with the Carolina rig as its a fine searcher method... The lure used was a 3" Keitech Swing Impact that is becoming my go-to lure on new areas. I started fishing the more sheltered side of the mark but got no bites there, while I could see a reef  about 20m away on the rough side. The wind was making the cast very difficult (a downside of using braid) but I managed one right on the edge of the reef and after a couple turns of the handle felt a good fish on. After a hard fight where the fish got me snagged twice, I managed to land her. She was smaller than I thought about 3lbs but a really beautiful fish.




The fish have been really up for it lately and I have been trying other methods as well, but to be honest the carolina and texas rigs rule! I will hopefully have some nice weather on my day off so that I can do some proper sessions...

Thanks for reading and tight lines!


Gear used.
Rod: Shimano Exage BX STC Mini Tele Spin, 3-14g 2.40m
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: Spiderwire ultracast invisibraid, 0.10mm,
Leader: 2m Trilene fluorocarbon, 15lb connected by Peixet knot.
Rig: various
lure: various

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete