Search This Blog

Saturday 20 April 2013

Ups and downs..

The past week was not very successful. A combination of several factors contributed to no fish on the bank.. Although the weather has been sunny, the sea has been rough from swells and intense winds that in combination with my limited time didn't allow me to fish the most protected  (and hard to access) areas. Another major negative factor was that I managed to break my little travel rod (first and hope to be the last time) and thus was left with only my heavier setup which doesn't really lend itself to fishing light soft plastics..
Fortunately, I had ordered my new LRF rod (Golden Mean Symphonia 8'6'') a few days before the disaster and managed to get my hands on it very quickly. I tried the new rod only a couple times but the rough sea was a constant problem..
Things changed today though. The wind died down a bit and the sea was fishable. Getting an early break from work I moved hastily to my favourite mark and started fishing straight away.
The first impressions from the rod were good as the sensitive tip registered every move of the lure and due to being very light was a joy to use. I was fishing a deep gully that fish tend to stay under my feet and using an Ecogear Bug Ants with a 3.5g weight, started fishing directly beneath me. I was working the lure with small twitches and letting it touch bottom again and after a few casts got the first tentative bite. The fish didn't commit but I persisted in working the same area and after a second bite, I let the lure static with limited line tension and I observed the tip of the rod as the fish was taking the bait and starting to move. A quick strike and the fish was on! I felt a solid weight on the end of the line and the drag started singing, after a while the fish got me snagged... I released tension on the line and the fish was soon moving again. I got her on the surface and slipped the net under her. She was only about a pound but on the LRF rod she was a ton of fun! Cant imagine a fight with a 4 pounder!
R.I.P

New toy.





After the first fish the bites dried up even though I tried other baits and retrieves. But considering the unlucky events lately, I was happy to have caught a fish and test my new rod!

Tight Lines!


Gear used.
Rod: Golden Mean Symphonia, 0.6-8g, 8'6''
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000
Mainline: YGK Nitlon DFC fluorocarbon, 3lbs
Rig: Texas, 3.5g bullet weight
lure: Ecogear Bug Ants, 3'', 252 colour on a N1 Lunker city texposer hook.














No comments:

Post a Comment