Search This Blog

Monday 15 July 2013

Day game...

I have been very busy lately at work and didn't have much time for fishing during the day. Instead I focused my efforts in night fishing. Saying that, I had a very good all day session on my day off with some decent fish among hordes of one-pounders!
I had decided to fish two marks in one day, one overlooked and very close to me and the other one at the south part of the Island on Little Sark. The day was glorious with a slight breeze, warm and sunny.
On the first spot there is a point that ends near a few islands and reefs, while also having some nice gullies and holes formed around it. I started fishing with some Texas rigged, cheap soft plastics that were a good sandeel/worm imitation and although it took a while, the results started to show.
Most of the fish were small but in tip top condition and giving some nice fights in the gin clear water. In some cases, fishing in a gully with kelp around the walls I even managed to sight-fish for wrasse! This gave me a good insight on the way the fish hunt and attack the lure.
They would follow at once when the lure passed through their 'lair' and either bite straight on or attack as soon as the retrieve paused. The sight of the fish attacking and fighting was truly memorable! Plenty of fish were caught and towards the end I managed a better one that fought accordingly..









I arrived on the second mark in late afternoon as the tide was nearing the high mark. The wind had picked up but the fish didn't seem to mind. I kept getting small wrasse after wrasse on the cheap but very effective 4.5" Netbait Finesse worm simply texas rigged on a size 2/0 Maruto offset hook and a 7g bullet head. I switched to a larger lure, trying to avoid all the little ones and put on a 5" Poor Boys Dixie Darter, a chunky worm/bug type lure that the fish seemed to love. But again only smallies..
I decided to move to the adjacent gullies that were more affected by the wind and the bites lessened significantly.. Going back to the Finesse worm I got some strong taps and after recasting parallel to the rock-wall, I gave a few turns of the reel and with the lure almost vertically, I got a very good bite that developed in a frantic run! The fish dived straight back and I couldn't hold it.. After a very good fight I managed to land the best fish of the day..



I was getting ready to go home when I stumbled on a nice looking rockpool that had some good size fish in it.. I prepped the rod again and changed line to the 3lb fluoro spool. I tied a size 12 Owner splitshotter hook, an SSG shot and threaded a small Power isome section on the hook. The results were instantaneous..!




It was so much fun catching the gobies I did it the following day as well.

That was my day fishing sessions the past week, nothing very serious but really good fun. I'm also happy that I finally got some time for proper LRF using my Golden Mean Symphonia that I don't get the chance to use on my wrasse fishing. The  rod has seen some extended use lately though during the night as it is my main 'weapon' against the hordes of nocturnal predators that have been showing up lately!

Tight lines and more to follow soon.

Gear used
Rod: Major Craft KG Evolution KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g. Golden Mean Symphonia, 0.6-8g, 8'6''
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000,
Mainline: Berkley Nanofil 0.10mm, YGK nitlon DFC fluoro leader 10lbs. YGK Nitlon DFC, 3lbs.
lures: 4.5" Netbait Finesse worm, 5" Poor Boys Dixie Darter. Power Isome small.

No comments:

Post a Comment