Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 July 2013

Where are the big ones?!

I haven't had much time for fishing lately, but on my day off I had an enjoyable session in the north part of the island. I decided to carry the medium and heavier setups, so that I could hopefully target the larger fish while not saying no to the smaller ones if their parents didn't play ball!
I reached the mark on high tide and started fishing the shallow bays while moving towards the tip of the point. Setting the lighter setup first, I used a carolina rig with a 45cm fluorocarbon trace and two 4g sinkers followed by a bead. This increases the noise and the long trace helps keep the lure floating over the thick weed on the bottom. The bites weren't coming fast but I managed some small wrasse.
Getting closer to the tip and with the tide starting to move out, the fish turned on and the fishing got better. They were no monsters, averaging a couple pounds, but there were plenty of them to keep me happy.






I changed rig to a weighted hook and swimbait/jerkbait lures and the fish kept coming. A very successful swimbait was the 4" Daiwa D'fin. although a very sensitive lure that gets ripped rather easily after a few fish.






Having my fill of these smaller wrasse, I decided to change to the heavier setup and the bigger lures. I put on a 25g Fiiish Black Minnow, and started casting and working it from top to bottom. The bites didn't take long to materialise but not from the fish I was after.. There seemed to be loads of smaller wrasse feeding hard and they appeared to really like this lure.


After a while I decided to change back to the light gear as the big fish weren't around, and after a couple casts near an area with some good flow, I managed to hook something serious. The fish made a nice long run but managed to spit the hook!
I kept working the area but got more small wrasse, until I decided to move back to the shallow bay I  started from. Usually around this time (near sunset) wrasse hit well on cranckbaits and the place being shallow and with lots of rocks seemed ideal for crancking. I put on a deep diver and started to bounce it along the bottom, feeling for snags and letting the lure rise and giving it a sharp pull again. I managed two more wrasse and then decided to call it a day.


Well I may not have gotten the big fish but with the limited time I've had lately it was really enjoyable to get amongst so many of these feisty little wrasse.. I was very impressed with the Fiiish Black Minnow as it really looks nice and attracts the fish. I have also had a much better wrasse on it but the photo is terrible.. I think the designers would be surprised at the effectiveness of this lure on wrasse!

Thanks for reading and tight lines!

Gear used

Rod: Major Craft KG Evolution KGS-832ST 2.53m, 3-15g. Shimano Beastmaster BX STC, 4pc, 14-40g, 8'-9
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro 1000, Abu Garcia Soron STX 40
Mainline: Berkley Nanofil 0.10mm, YGK nitlon DFC fluoro leader 10lbs. Daiwa tournament x8 braid, 0.12mm
Rig: weighted offset hooks and wide gape jigheads, sizes 2/0-4/0, weight 5g-7g. Carolina with double 4g sinkers and 45cm trace.
Lures: 4.5" Big Bite Shaking Squirrels, 4.5" Hogy Sandeels, 4" Daiwa D'fin, 4" Reins Rockvibe shad, 12cm Fiiish Black Minnow. 

1 comment:

  1. Μπράβο Δημήτρη πολύ καλό το αποτέλεσμα και καταπληκτικές φωτογραφίες

    ReplyDelete