Search This Blog

Monday 21 July 2014

Codling in the rain.

On Saturday I wanted to venture further afield but the weather forecast was not good and soon clouds and rain came. Thus I decided to head up in loch Etive planning to fish a mark that didnt produce anything the few times Ive tried there previously, but with the weather warming up and the fish coming closer to shore, I thought something might turn up.
Its a rocky  peninsula with kelp close in but clean, soft bottom further out. It was raining constantly by now and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try my new Vass Tex 175 breathable waterproof smock. Almost 6 years in the UK fishing without waterproofs but I was broken in Scotland! lol
I started fishing with a 3g cheburashka and a Jackall peke peke on a #8 Owner Split shotter hook. The water was deep but not 'abysmal' as its in the nearby basin and this may explain the lack of fish in the colder months. I started getting bites straight away and codling started following one after the other! The biggest ones were close to a pound but their numbers gave me much needed entertainment in the rain. I got a couple bumps as soon as the lure landed and seeing fish jumping I thought of trying retrieving near surface for trout. I managed two of them one on the cheburashka and the other on a Jackall Aji mame jig.
These trout really don't look like sea trout although they're in a sea-loch, I think that since the surface water here is almost fresh, these are just normal brown trout..

parasitism on the eye?






Just a brownie?

They like softies as well..











They like the rain and metals!
In all I had more then twenty codling without anything else except the trout showing up! Very surprising that a type of mark can hold very specific species of fish.. I think next time it rains Ill give it another go as I saw a couple bigger trout splashing there. The smock performed very well and kept me dry and worm throughout the session I hope it will last...

Tight lines

Gear Used.
Rod:  Majorcraft CRK-T782AJI
Reel: Mitchell Mag Pro lite 1000
Mainline: Sunline Siglon fluorocarbon 4lbs
Rig: cheburashka, hard lures
lure: Jackall peke peke, Jackal Mame jig.

No comments:

Post a Comment