Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 September 2016

Wind wind wind...

As per the title the weather has been atrocious the past couple weeks and I only found opportunities to fish here and there, mostly in the more sheltered areas. The fish have obliged but its been difficult to get to the larger pollock as the coalies are in huge numbers and truculent right now! Even the usual up-sizing the lures that used to dissuade them has little effect now!
Nevertheless here's a little video from last week.


Today I had a quick session before the expected gales started and managed a couple average fish (among hordes of coalies) on topwaters of all lures! I kept one fish as I wanted to try out a ceviche recipe for pollock that I thought it might work. Well it did and its now my favourite way to eat them!
A decent fish on the vulture.


Scottish squid with gram flour and pollock ceviche. Tasty!
I was surprised to find the fish very willing to come off the top even though the water was 'lively' and the wind strong. If only this weather calmed down abit...!

Tight lines!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Dimitrios,
    Just to say, to watch out eating raw pollock from west coast. My experience says they can be infected by some nasty parasites found in their meat not guts. This summer I took home three pollock from Loch Torridon, and they were all infected. These little worms usually die while cooking or freezing, but can be very harmfull when eating raw. You become their host-parasite. The best way to check the fish is to skinned fillet and lift the meat to the light, like bright window. If you see dark threadlike objects, the fish is infected. They still can be romoved, but I wouldn't risk eating that meat uncooked. Tomasz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks alot for this tip pal! although i need to stress that the meat is atually cooked by the acid in the lemons and limes so I hope this has some mitigating effect. I feel fine though and it was so delicious im really thinking of doing some more next time!
      definitely not a recipe for the squeamish!
      Cheers
      Dimitrios

      Delete